I want to keep my Onecare after June RRS feed

• General discussion

• I DON'T THINK IT IS FAIR! I PAY $50 A YEAR, I WANT to keep ONECARE! I love Onecare Can't you guys save it?
    Sunday, March 8, 2009 8:41 PM

All replies

• If you renew your OneCare subscription before June 30th, 2009, you may continue to use OneCare until the end of the 1 year renewal in 2010.  This has been clearly stated in dozens of posts here in the forums and also in at least one of the original press releases posted by Microsoft last November.

As for after that date, no, I doubt anyone can save it now.  Though we aren't certain of the exact reasons, OneCare will no longer be sold after June 30th, 2009 and support will absolutely end by December 31st, 2010 or when your subscription expires, whichever occurs first.

OneCareBear
    Windows OneCare Forum Moderator
    Monday, March 9, 2009 6:25 AM
  • OneCareBear said:

If you renew your OneCare subscription before June 30th, 2009, you may continue to use OneCare until the end of the 1 year renewal in 2010.  This has been clearly stated in dozens of posts here in the forums and also in at least one of the original press releases posted by Microsoft last November.

As for after that date, no, I doubt anyone can save it now.  Though we aren't certain of the exact reasons, OneCare will no longer be sold after June 30th, 2009 and support will absolutely end by December 31st, 2010 or when your subscription expires, whichever occurs first.

OneCareBear

My question is, if you buy one care and then decide you'd like to switch over to the new alternative in June, is there a half price plan available?  Mine just renewed, but I was hoping to cancel it if the new program was out.  However, I can't go without antivirus care so I had to renew.  I'd like to go to the free version, but if possible, I'd like a refund of half of the money.  Do you have any idea if this is an available option?

Thanks!
    Monday, March 9, 2009 12:07 PM
  • It's never been mentioned and not likely, since there is currently no plan to 'cut off' the OneCare service until the normal end of the subscriptions between the end of sales in 2009 and their expiration in 2010.  Since you could choose to continue using OneCare through the end of the subscription renewal, it's your decision to stop using the product earlier and I don't believe that Microsoft has ever provided partial refund for cancelled OneCare subscriptions.

I would actually suggest that most users would be better off waiting after the release of the new 'Morro' product for at least a couple months to see how others like it.  If you aren't into testing new products, especially those that affect security, you'd be better served to let others with an understanding of the potential issues try it first and discover exactly how it functions.  Once you've heard those discussions, you can make a better informed decision whether it will be the best product for your future protection and choose a quiet, non-critical time to perform the conversion.

Though the new product will undoubtedly be similar to the anti-malware components already included in OneCare, it won't be exactly the same, so the abilities and especially the interface will probably be different.  Assuming you'll jump to the new version immediately simply to save a couple bucks is bad planning.  Even I won't be suggesting this for my friends and relatives until I've performed my own thorough testing first, followed by testing on one or two family PCs I support directly.

OneCareBear

Monday, March 9, 2009 4:27 PM