Windows update and WGA not working on my PC RRS feed

• Question

• Dear,

When trying to update windows automatically nothing is happening. When visiting to update page via manually keying in the web adress, I get redirected to the msn.com webpage and nothing happens. Other programms have similar issues (AVG) and some have not (Java, Adobe).

So trying to run the WGA check to see if there is an issue (should not be as it had been running smoothly for 2 years) and I found out that I cannot run the WGA for some reason. The issue seems to be that the Active X is not being installed (running the legitcheck manually), however, I never get the taskbar to approve the install. When following the links from other threads to this element, I get redirected again to MSN.com. And when running the diagnosis, the first 5 element turn green and the last 3 red (which is the loading of the Active X files).

The last date my windows was updated was Septermber 21st, 2008. I have used another PC to download some critical updates )XP and IE7) and updated my system from a flash memory drive. But I want the update to function properly again.

I am not sure if WGA is the issue of if this should be posted in another section. Can someone please help my to get my XP Media Center Edition up and running again.

I have installed the Dutch verion of XP and it is the 2005 edition. I am running this as Admin on my PC (I am the only user). However, I also get error messages when on the desktop and clicking some icons, that I am not authorized to open these. 

Thanks in advance,

Friday, December 19, 2008 5:55 PM

Answers

• Stormking,

Antron will likely request that you repost the output of the mgadiag utility, but that you DO NOT do any editing to the output.  The utility will obscure all sensitive information.

IMO you should search the internet for a handy utility called "dial-a-fix 0.60" and run it after reading the instructions.  It has worked many times for me when trying to fix a Windows Update glitch.
    For great advice on all topics XP, visit http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp
    • Marked as answer by Stephen Holm Monday, December 29, 2008 10:51 PM
    Tuesday, December 23, 2008 5:11 PM

All replies

• Hello Stormking, 

Thank you for visiting the Windows Genuine Advantage (WGA) program forum. In order to receive the best support, we request all users to initially run the Microsoft Genuine Advantage Diagnostic Tool.  This will try and identify the individual issue you may be experiencing.  Please provide a brief synopsis describing your customer scenario, including any dialogue, error messages, or codes. Error codes can be found in the lower left hand corner of most Genuine Advantage Web pages when an error is encountered.

By clicking the link below, you will download the Microsoft Genuine Advantage Diagnostic Tool (MGADT).  Then click the Run button. Then click the Run button again. Then click the Continue button to perform the diagnostic. The Windows tab should show, click the Copy button to paste your report to the clipboard.  Then paste the report into a New Post on this Forum by adding a post in it and pressing Ctrl V (to paste the text). Clicking the OK button will clear the Diagnostic window. Here is the download link:

http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012

Please tell us about the Certificate of Authenticity (COA) for your copy of Windows XP.

1. What edition/version of Windows XP is titled?

·         Home

·         Professional

·         Media Center

2. Does it read "OEM Software" or "OEM Product" in black lettering?

3. Or, does it have the computer manufacturer's name in black lettering?

4. Please provide the customer scenario you are experiencing.

5. DO NOT post the Product Key.

Not sure what to look for, see this page to reference your COA:

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/howtotell/product.aspx?pID=2abf99cd-a5e4-469c-802e-55ca8ec542d5&cID=ea710cad-37b0-4975-bcd6-abfee19961df&method=oem&displaylang=en

NOTE: The data collected with the MGADT does NOT contain any information that can personally identify you. The information can be fully reviewed, by you, before being posted.

Thank you for your participation here on the Windows Genuine Advantage (WGA) program forums. We look forward to working with you.

Antron-

Friday, December 19, 2008 7:08 PM
  • Thanks for the quick reply.

However, that is exactly one of the issues I have, a lot of links direct me to either a "page could not be found" or the www.msn.com website. Above link does not work for me, it gives the page cannot be found error.

My CD has all the characteristics as described on the COA pages. It has worked for over 2 yrs without any issues. Only since September 21st, no more updates are ran automatically and some sites instantly direct me to the MSN.Com page. I ran the MS malicious SW removal tool, Hitman Pro 3, AVG 8.0, Ad-Aware 6.0 but could not find any threats at all on my PC.

Info:
    1:XP Media Center (2005) Dutch install
    2: It is OEM as I got it with my PC
    3: NA

I do not think the issue is with WGA alone, but for sure this is also not working. I cannot get the Active X installed to run the diagnosis for WGA (I do not get a pop-up or anything, it simply does not perform any Active X activities, even with security levels at the minimum and allowing all Active X to be ran). This is irregardless of the webbrowser (Mozilla, Chrome, Safari and IE7 all give the same results).

Should I do a repair install? If so, can I simply overwrite the current one without losing all current content (I have partitioned my HD and installed the OS on C: while D: and E: are containing info not required for the OS to run).

Greetz,
    Storm
    Friday, December 19, 2008 7:34 PM
  • Managed to get it via another PC on the same network (so no router or ISP issue).

Diagnostic Report (1.7.0110.1):
    -----------------------------------------
    WGA Data-->
    Validation Status: Genuine
    Validation Code: 0
    Online Validation Code: N/A
    Cached Validation Code: N/A
    Windows Product Key: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    Windows Product Key Hash: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    Windows Product ID: xxxxxxxxxxremovedxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    Windows Product ID Type: 3
    Windows License Type: OEM System Builder
    Windows OS version: 5.1.2600.2.00010100.2.0.med
    ID: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    Is Admin: Yes
    TestCab: 0x0
    WGA Version: Registered, 1.7.18.0
    Signed By: Microsoft
    Product Name: N/A
    Architecture: N/A
    Build lab: N/A
    TTS Error: N/A
    Validation Diagnostic: 025D1FF3-171-1_E2AD56EA-761-d003_E2AD56EA-762-0_E2AD56EA-134-80004005
    Resolution Status: N/A

WgaER Data-->
    ThreatID(s): N/A
    Version: N/A

WGA Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: 0
    File Exists: Yes
    Version: 1.7.18.0
    WgaTray.exe Signed By: Microsoft
    WgaLogon.dll Signed By: Microsoft

OGA Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    Version: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    WGATray.exe Signed By: Microsoft
    OGAAddin.dll Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002

Browser Data-->
    Proxy settings: N/A
    User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Win32)
    Default Browser: C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe
    Download signed ActiveX controls: Prompt
    Download unsigned ActiveX controls: Disabled
    Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins: Allowed
    Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe: Disabled
    Allow scripting of Internet Explorer Webbrowser control: Disabled
    Active scripting: Allowed
    Script ActiveX controls marked as safe for scripting: Allowed

File Scan Data-->

Other data-->
    Office Details: <GenuineResults><MachineData><UGUID>{5BBA41D1-2563-4526-996E-A98699053FD4}</UGUID><Version>1.7.0110.1</Version><OS>5.1.2600.2.00010100.2.0.med</OS><Architecture>x32</Architecture><PKey>*****-*****-*****-*****-2PBBJ</PKey><PID>76396-OEM-2281285-08963</PID><PIDType>3</PIDType><SID>S-1-5-21-527237240-1647877149-682003330</SID><SYSTEM><Manufacturer>System Manufacturer</Manufacturer><Model>System Name</Model></SYSTEM><BIOS><Manufacturer>Award Software, Inc.</Manufacturer><Version>ASUS A7V600 ACPI BIOS Revision 1004</Version><SMBIOSVersion major="2" minor="3"/><Date>20030724000000.000000+000</Date></BIOS><HWID>1C73368701842E6F</HWID><UserLCID>0413</UserLCID><SystemLCID>0413</SystemLCID><TimeZone>West-Europa (standaardtijd)(GMT+01:00)</TimeZone><iJoin>0</iJoin><SBID><stat>3</stat><msppid></msppid><name></name><model></model></SBID><OEM/><BRT/></MachineData>   <Software><Office><Result>114</Result><Products><Product GUID="{90110409-6000-11D3-8CFE-0150048383C9}"><LegitResult>114</LegitResult><Name>Microsoft Office Professional Edition 2003</Name><Ver>11</Ver><Val>59D1605114E3500</Val><Hash>vfZmaSmFPIYrLWTcZSZErUQg+Fo=</Hash><Pid>73931-640-0000106-57635</Pid><PidType>14</PidType></Product></Products><Applications><App Id="15" Version="11" Result="114"/><App Id="16" Version="11" Result="114"/><App Id="18" Version="11" Result="114"/><App Id="19" Version="11" Result="114"/><App Id="1A" Version="11" Result="114"/><App Id="1B" Version="11" Result="114"/><App Id="44" Version="11" Result="114"/></Applications></Office></Software></GenuineResults> 

Licensing Data-->
    N/A

HWID Data-->
    N/A

OEM Activation 1.0 Data-->
    BIOS string matches: yes
    Marker string from BIOS: 13530:ASUSTeK Computer Inc
    Marker string from OEMBIOS.DAT: N/A, hr = 0x80004005

OEM Activation 2.0 Data-->
    N/A

Friday, December 19, 2008 7:56 PM
  • Stormking,

Antron will likely request that you repost the output of the mgadiag utility, but that you DO NOT do any editing to the output.  The utility will obscure all sensitive information.

IMO you should search the internet for a handy utility called "dial-a-fix 0.60" and run it after reading the instructions.  It has worked many times for me when trying to fix a Windows Update glitch.
    For great advice on all topics XP, visit http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp
    • Marked as answer by Stephen Holm Monday, December 29, 2008 10:51 PM
    Tuesday, December 23, 2008 5:11 PM