none
Is this too weak? RRS feed

• Question

• After reading seeing the min specs for WHS, I wonder how much of it is inflated?

See, I have a spare dual Celeron box, 2x 366mhz chips and its currently not doing anything. It has 768MB of Ram (maxed out for the mobo) and I really would like it to turn into a WHS box - I know I probably could run linux a helluva lot better, but I really like the features of WHS.

So, in your honest opinion, do you think I could use it as a Home Server box effectively? I want it to be doing the following:

1) Periodic backups (once weekly of two PC's)

2) FTP server

3) BitTorrent box

4) Serving music to other boxes (but not accessed often)

5) File serving (not all the time, but it will be a place where I will dump documents/etc to have as storage)

And, I wanted to take advantage of the mirroring feature, I have two 200gb HDD's that I want mirrored (effectively RAID1) 

Thursday, August 16, 2007 5:07 PM

All replies

•  Corrupt3d wrote:

After reading seeing the min specs for WHS, I wonder how much of it is inflated?

See, I have a spare dual Celeron box, 2x 366mhz chips and its currently not doing anything. It has 768MB of Ram (maxed out for the mobo) and I really would like it to turn into a WHS box - I know I probably could run linux a helluva lot better, but I really like the features of WHS.

So, in your honest opinion, do you think I could use it as a Home Server box effectively? I want it to be doing the following:

2) FTP server

3) BitTorrent box

5) File serving (not all the time, but it will be a place where I will dump documents/etc to have as storage)

The CPUs are way below spec as you already know. The memory amount is fine. The hard disks are fine.

The first thing you would have to find out is if WHS would even install on that hardware. Apparently you have a dual socket 370 motherboard, which wasn't that common if I recall correctly. What chipset was used and is it supported by Windows Server 2003, including the disk controller? Is it even ACPI compliant? With old hardware like that your best bet is to just give the install a try. The worst it can do is fail.

Even if it works it may not be a very satisfactory WHS box. But it might perform a couple of the functions in your list in an O.K. manner (backup, file storage).

Thursday, August 16, 2007 6:04 PM
  • Hi,

Some topics about low hardware issue here:

lowest hardware specs

and

What's in your server

My best.
    Thursday, August 16, 2007 6:08 PM
  •  Warren G. wrote:
     Corrupt3d wrote:

After reading seeing the min specs for WHS, I wonder how much of it is inflated?

2) FTP server

3) BitTorrent box

The CPUs are way below spec as you already know. The memory amount is fine. The hard disks are fine.

The first thing you would have to find out is if WHS would even install on that hardware. Apparently you have a dual socket 370 motherboard, which wasn't that common if I recall correctly. What chipset was used and is it supported by Windows Server 2003, including the disk controller? Is it even ACPI compliant? With old hardware like that your best bet is to just give the install a try. The worst it can do is fail.

Even if it works it may not be a very satisfactory WHS box. But it might perform a couple of the functions in your list in an O.K. manner (backup, file storage).

A quick Google shows that it can in deed support Windows Server 2003...

...and thanks for the responses guys, I still have to decide as to what I want to do

Thursday, August 16, 2007 6:35 PM
  • Stick it on, i reckon with dual celerons WHS's core functions will work ok.  Have you considered overclocking the CPUs, i had a socket 370 celeron 600, it would 1.1ghz no probs.  Maybe bumping each CPU to 500mhz would help a bit.
    Thursday, August 16, 2007 7:21 PM