Windows 7 Activation RRS feed

• Question

• I've just re-installed windows 7 on my desktop after a hard drive crash, but I've just realised I've used the registration key from the Windows 7 DVD I installed onto my Laptop which is currently still using this key. (I have 2 copy of windows 7, one for each PC).  The laptop is off at the moment, is this going to cause problems when I connect the laptop to the internet and if so, how do I fix it.  Am I better off just wiping the drive clean on the desktop and re-installing with the correct key, or will this still cause problems on my laptop.  Thanks.
    Thursday, November 4, 2010 3:10 PM

Answers

• I've just re-installed windows 7 on my desktop after a hard drive crash, but I've just realised I've used the registration key from the Windows 7 DVD I installed onto my Laptop which is currently still using this key. (I have 2 copy of windows 7, one for each PC).  The laptop is off at the moment, is this going to cause problems when I connect the laptop to the internet and if so, how do I fix it.  Am I better off just wiping the drive clean on the desktop and re-installing with the correct key, or will this still cause problems on my laptop.  Thanks.

On the computer with the incorrect product key, start it and then get to the Run command.  Type slui.exe 3 and then press Enter and you will be given the change Product Key screen.   Enter your correct product key and then click Next.  Once the key has been changed you should be able to activate without issue.  If it fails to automatically activate you may need to telephone activate.  You can do that by going to the telephone number provided on the failed online activation or by going to the run command again and typing  slui.exe 4 and pressing Enter. Select your country and don't say or press any telephone keys, wait for a live person to come on the line.

Let us know if this helped please.
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Thursday, November 4, 2010 6:13 PM
    Thursday, November 4, 2010 4:29 PM

All replies

On the computer with the incorrect product key, start it and then get to the Run command.  Type slui.exe 3 and then press Enter and you will be given the change Product Key screen.   Enter your correct product key and then click Next.  Once the key has been changed you should be able to activate without issue.  If it fails to automatically activate you may need to telephone activate.  You can do that by going to the telephone number provided on the failed online activation or by going to the run command again and typing  slui.exe 4 and pressing Enter. Select your country and don't say or press any telephone keys, wait for a live person to come on the line.

Let us know if this helped please.
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Thursday, November 4, 2010 6:13 PM
    Thursday, November 4, 2010 4:29 PM
  • Worked perfectly. Changed the key with the correct one no problem at all.
    Very much appreciated.
    Will this affect my laptop activation at all?
    Friday, November 5, 2010 4:31 AM
  • Worked perfectly. Changed the key with the correct one no problem at all.
    Very much appreciated.
    Will this affect my laptop activation at all?

If it does have any affect (license already in use) just go through the slui.exe 4 method and use telephone activation, explain that you activated the license on a different computer by mistake and your laptop should be reactivated without any issues.
    Friday, November 5, 2010 12:02 PM
  • Had no problems at all with laptop. Both PC's running windows 7 perfectly.  Thanks again for your help.
    Sunday, November 14, 2010 4:36 AM