RDP Printing Issues RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I hope this is the right place to post my problems. I am the computer admin of a small business. My boss decided to have one good computer be a terminal services server, and have a bunch of cheap computers using RDP to access all the programs on the TS server. Granted it does work, but at times it causes everyone to deal with programs running slow. The issues I would like to deal with are regarding printing.

First, I have one printer driver that instists reinstalling everytime a session is created. I can't find where that setup program is being called from. How can I find & stop that from happening everytime?

Second, the number of session printers gets out of control. Everytime a session is created, anywhere from 1 to 8 session printers get created. Some programs that we run can only recognize about 30 printers. So I have to go and delete the session printers at least once a day. Most of the session printers start with a name like __SERVER_Epson Counter/Computer/Session 8. If you try to use a printer from a different session from yours, it never does anything. But if you use the main printer, it works just fine. Yes, my boss does need the ability of printing to his home printer when he connects from home. How can I limit what session printers get created? Why don't session printers get deleted when the session gets logged off? Why can users see session printers that don't belong to their session?

-Kevin

Thursday, October 4, 2007 11:05 PM

All replies

•  

First, I have one printer driver that instists reinstalling everytime a session is created. I can't find where that setup program is being called from. How can I find & stop that from happening everytime?

---MSCONFIG StartUp and Services tabs

In terminal services sanpin is the option to delete disconnected sessions.  Check this with any applicable settings and should help your problem

Wednesday, October 24, 2007 5:47 AM
  • well, there is two ways to force programes to run when you connect to a remote desktop computer.

first one is from within the remote desktop connection it self, before you connect go to options that will show you many tabs then got to programs tab and make sure to uncheck "start the following program on connection".

the second one if you a have a domain controller go to the active directory and open each user's properties then go to environment tab make sure to uncheck "start the following program on connection".

this way every one connects to the remote pc will have no programes running on connetion.

for printing if you want everyone to use a printer already configured on his PC, open the remote connection and before connecting go to the options then Local Resources tab and check printers.

if you want this configuration to be permenant you have to save it.

Thursday, December 13, 2007 4:41 PM