windows defender RRS feed

• Question

• Why does one care shut off windows defender also windows firewall?

Saturday, August 9, 2008 1:53 PM

Answers

• I just found you post in the off topic folder.

The answer is because OneCare includes and expands on the spyware protection in Defender and also provides a full 2 way firewall. Both are disabled and will be enabled again should you decide to remove OneCare.

-steve

Monday, August 11, 2008 6:05 PM

All replies

• I just found you post in the off topic folder.

The answer is because OneCare includes and expands on the spyware protection in Defender and also provides a full 2 way firewall. Both are disabled and will be enabled again should you decide to remove OneCare.

-steve

Monday, August 11, 2008 6:05 PM
  •  Stephen Boots wrote:

I just found you post in the off topic folder.

-steve

After reading posts I went in to look at defender firewall and it was tuned on. When I installed OC it disconnected my

ca anti virus only. (I gave up the ca suite and only using virus checker and rely on defender for firewall).  I couldn't turn it off as the window was inactive ie greyed out. I turned off updates.

Questions:   I gather, despite showing it is turn on, it isn't. Also should I have turned off updates?  I gather yes but need to check as having incompatibility problems with screen freezing before I installed CO which It was thought may pick up a virus but didn't. So keeping it to test.

many thanks

Thursday, September 4, 2008 10:54 PM
  • Jesse, Defender does not include a firewall and only provides protection against spyware/adware. OneCare expands on this with malware protection and a firewall. If you have other security software on the PC, it must be removed to run OneCare or you may encounter unexpected issues such as performance problems and even system crashes. If Defender was not disabled when OneCare was installed, you may need to reinstall OneCare *after* removing your CA Suite - all components of it.

-steve

Friday, September 5, 2008 12:16 PM