none
Linksys WRT160N Remote Access Setup RRS feed

• Question

• I just installed and setup WHS 2011, had been running the prevous version.

Everything is working pretty well accept getting Remote Access and an existing Domain name (from previous Home Server) going. I have tried everything I can think of with no luck. The WRT160N has Upnp but WHS does not seem to recognize or work with it so I resorted to seting-up my router manually, including forwarding ports 80, 443 and 4125 to my WHS's static IP address . Actually it was already set-up from the previous Home Server installation (accept for the currect static IP address), but it did not work with WHS 2011 and no tweaks, re-entries or other efforts seem to work.

Any ideas?

Sunday, August 28, 2011 9:16 PM

All replies

• Bill

For WHS 2011 you actually only need Port 443 (https://) and optionally Port 80 (http://) - Port 4125 is not required. I would delete the existing port forwarding, reboot the router and re-set up as above with UPnP disabled. Then go to www.grc.com and run Shields-Up to confirm the ports are actually open.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.
    Sunday, August 28, 2011 9:37 PM
  • I am going to try your suggestion(s) later in the day Phil, appreciate the response and will let you know. You seem to be indicating that Port 4125 is not actually needed for RDP afterall, am I understanding you correctly?

Bill

Monday, August 29, 2011 9:31 PM
  • Yes. Port 4125 was required for RDP with WHS1, but you can do RDP with WHS 2011 with only 443 - that's the standard configuration with no special setup required.
    Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.
    Monday, August 29, 2011 11:04 PM
  • I tried all of the things you suggested Phil, do no avail. Are there any adjustments that need to be made to the Windows Firewall to allow for the communications necessary or are default settings adequate?

I did run Shields-Up, as you suggested and got a screen full of "green" squares. I assume that indicates either my ISP (cox.net) is locking me down or my router is not really following instructions when I tell it to forward Port 443 to my WHS, at its static IP address. However, I should let you know I had no problems under the old WHS installation, only since installing WHS 2011.

Any other thoughts? Are ISPs likely to open a port for an individual home user in your experience?

Tuesday, August 30, 2011 5:29 AM
  • If ShieldsUp is not showing the Port as being open (red square) then it's almost certainly not which would explain why remote access is not working. You should not need to adjust the firewall. By your last comment, do you mean will they remotely set up your router for you? If so, I don't know but it would be worth checking your Ts&Cs regarding hosting a server before you ask the question. You don't have a strange network configuration do you with more than one router?
    Tuesday, August 30, 2011 10:19 AM
  •  Are ISPs likely to open a port for an individual home user in your experience?

All green on Shields Up! means that the tested ports are detected as "STEALTH", i.e. not only is a conneciton not accepted on that port, there's no sign that a device exists on that port at all. Assuming your server is configured to allow remote access, this means that something else is blocking communications on the testd ports, either your router (if no port forwarding is configured) or your ISP.

You can test remote access internally, by browsing to http://<server> from another computer on your home network. You can also try http://<server>.homeserver.com, assuming your server is reporting it was able to set up a domain name, but you shouldn't count on that working correctly since it depends on your router to support a loopback connection, and some residential routers don't do that well, or at all.

While it's possible that your ISP will open some ports for you, it's also unlikely. Your ISP doubtless has a business class of service which would include the ability to run servers on your connection, and in most cases they'd rather sell you that service than open a port for a residential user.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Tuesday, August 30, 2011 1:04 PM
  • Probably a dumb question, but does it even make sense that Shields-UP gives me solid green? How does anything get to me desktop if no ports are open (e-mail, internet, etc.)? Probably just a lack of understanding on my end, but it makes me curious, particularly since everything was working under the old WHS.

Appreciate all of your input.

Tuesday, August 30, 2011 6:31 PM
  • It's non-initiated access to your network that you are setting up by port forwarding. That the Green squares are showing means people can't probe inside your network. Traffic to/from the internet goes via NAT so something coming into your network is in response to your request - you would need to read up on that to understand more.

Shields-Up shows Port 443 as a Red square on my network and thus Remote Access works. Given WHS1 used to work for you, it does not sound as though it's an ISP issue (unless you have changed ISPs) but something else - have you changed network configuratuon/got more than one router? I would try my initial suggestion above until you can see an open port in Shields-Up.

Tuesday, August 30, 2011 6:49 PM
  • Thanks Phil,

I am not aware of any network configuration changes, but just in case I reset my router to factory defaults and started over again early-on in my troubleshooting of this recent problem. This is a new/different motherboard and processor for my new WHS 2011 install. My old processor was 32-bit and and my original motherboard did not support the 64-bit processor my friend gave me so I had to upgrade my MB as well. I am now using an ASUS P5K-E, where I had been using a ASUS P5AD-2 Deluxe.

As far as I know I do not have any routers, beyond the WRT610N V1 (mislabeled earlier as a "160"), unless it might be hidden in one of the devices below.

Here are the network devices I have somewhere in my network:

Linksys BEFCMU10 Cable Modem
    Linksys WRT610N V1 Wireless Router
    Linksys EZX588W 10/100 8-Port Workgroup Switch
    Linksys WGA600N Dual-Band Wireless N Gaming Adapter

Tuesday, August 30, 2011 7:09 PM
  • So presumably the BEFCMU10 Cable Modem connects to your cable provider and the ethernet port goes to your WRT610N V1 Wireless Router. You then hang your server directly off that or your EZX588W 10/100 8-Port Workgroup Switch (which itself is connected to the WRT610N)? All of which sounds good.

When you set up your Port Forwarding do you use your Server Name or its IP address? You say above that the Server IP address fixed and it's in the same subnet range?

Everything else you would expect from your server is working? You can ping it by name / IP address and access shared folders?

Tuesday, August 30, 2011 7:34 PM
  • For the most part, cable modem to WRT610N, server and desktop and switch are all connected directly to router. Switch just hosts a couple of printers that are remote to my router.

I use the IP address for Port Forwarding, in this case an IP outside my routers "auto" assign range of .100-.149. My server is .151.

And yes, from my desktop I can Ping the IP of my server successfully. As well, backup, folders, dashboard and RDP access from my desktop to my server all works fine.

Here is another clue I just came upon, I did another factory reset on my router, reinstalled the latest firmware (2009) and then ran the set-up software (instead of doing manual configuration). After running the setup 3-4 times, with resets and reboots in between I keep getting an error code (Error Code 302: Internal Error) as the software is going through the final "verifying" process. This last time this process left a number of temporary port-forwarding settings in place. I am supposing it was testing access to imaginary port usage including cameras and such (judging by the labels, there were a bunch of them as the list was full).

I have not been able to access any Error Code definitions on the Linksys/Cisco web site, so I don't know what the error code is telling me.

Tuesday, August 30, 2011 8:08 PM
  • ... After running the setup 3-4 times, with resets and reboots in between I keep getting an error code (Error Code 302: Internal Error) as the software is going through the final "verifying" process. ...

If the router is still under warranty, call Cisco for support. If it's not, buy a new router.
    Tuesday, August 30, 2011 8:18 PM
  • this cable modem may be your problem. It is about 10 years old and has known
    issues. only your cable provider can update DOCSIS devices like this even if you
    own it yourself. I doubt the issue is your router.

On Tue, 30 Aug 2011 19:09:29 +0000, Bill - whgj wrote:

>Linksys BEFCMU10 Cable Modem

Barb Bowman

http://www.digitalmediaphile.com

Wednesday, August 31, 2011 9:21 AM
  • In general, Barb, I would agree that the cable modem is the place to start. As a matter of fact I would suggest replacing it on general principles once other issues are as sorted (as they can be).

In this case, though, he's been seeing errors when he tries to install updated firmware on his router. That points toward issues with the router to me.

Wednesday, August 31, 2011 1:06 PM
  • are you using the CD/software to set up the router? don't... login via web
    browser manually

can you set it up manually?

On Tue, 30 Aug 2011 20:08:47 +0000, Bill - whgj wrote:

>After running the setup 3-4 times, with resets and reboots in between I keep getting an error code (Error Code 302: Internal Error) as the software is going through the final "verifying" process.

Barb Bowman

Wednesday, August 31, 2011 3:37 PM
  • or he is trying to use the installation CD/install software..

On Wed, 31 Aug 2011 13:06:53 +0000, Ken Warren [MVP] wrote:

> That points toward issues with the router to me.

Barb Bowman

Wednesday, August 31, 2011 3:38 PM
  • Have tried both Barb, but anytime I use the software (latest from the Linksys site) I get an error as it is veirfying the settings toward the end (see above). So I have manualy configured, finally got Shields-Up to give me a red light on port 443 but WHS 2011 still reports that Remote Access is not working, although a buddy reports he can get to my login. I have not had an occasion to confirm.

Should I be able to make a connection from my WP7 using the My Server app inside my house if I turn off WiFi and try to connect over 3G? So far I have not been successful.

Sunday, September 11, 2011 11:09 PM
  • can YOU try remote access from outside your home?

On Sun, 11 Sep 2011 23:09:49 +0000, Bill - whgj wrote:

> So I have manualy configured, finally got Shields-Up to give me a red light on port 443 but WHS 2011 still reports that Remote Access is not working, although a buddy reports he can get to my login. I have not had an occasion to confirm.

Barb Bowman

Monday, September 12, 2011 10:00 AM