Unable to copy files - Insufficient Space Left, but Storage Space shows 150GB left RRS feed

• Question

• I'm trying to copy a 7GB file to my WHS and it's saying insufficient space, but the console shows 150GB free space.

What's going on here, and is there any way to fix it?

I've got some spare drives, I may just add, but I'm not happy to know that WHS is just wasting 150GB of space!
    Friday, June 12, 2009 6:33 PM

All replies

• I'm trying to copy a 7GB file to my WHS and it's saying insufficient space, but the console shows 150GB free space.

What's going on here, and is there any way to fix it?

I've got some spare drives, I may just add, but I'm not happy to know that WHS is just wasting 150GB of space!

Hi,

What are the version numbers under settings>resources in the Windows Home Server console?
    Lara Jones [MSFT] | Program Manager
    Community Support and Beta | Windows Home Server Team
    Windows Home Server Team Blog
    Connect Windows Home Server
    Windows Home Server
    Friday, June 12, 2009 7:13 PM
  • 6.0.2030.0 for all of them.
    Friday, June 12, 2009 8:52 PM
  • 6.0.2030.0 for all of them.

How are you attempting to copy the file? Have you mapped a drive to and/or are you browsing to \\<servername>\shares?

Windows Home Server
    Friday, June 12, 2009 8:55 PM
  • Yes, of course. I know that the drive extender doesn't work otherwise.

Friday, June 12, 2009 8:58 PM
  • Yes, of course. I know that the drive extender doesn't work otherwise.

What operating system is this?
    Where does it show 150GB of space left? On the client's mapped drive UI? In the Windows Home Server Console?
    Are you copying using a cmd line, explorer or another tool? If this is another tool, what is the name of the tool?
    What is the exact error?
    Windows Home Server
    Friday, June 12, 2009 9:04 PM
  • XP SP2 for the copying.
    Free space shown in the Console.
    I used robocopy cmd line tool, which I've used for years to populate this server.
    Insufficient disk space. I'll get the exact text in a moment, and I'll also try a regular Windows Explorer style copy.

EDIT:
    I just tried it again and it worked!?!

It's been about 10 hours since I last tried the copy. I had tried it 10x in the span of 2 hours when it first happened. I even waited for the machine to say it had drive balanced, but that didn't seem to make a difference.

Anyone have some guesses as to what happened here?
    Friday, June 12, 2009 9:48 PM
  • XP SP2 for the copying.
    Free space shown in the Console.
    I used robocopy cmd line tool, which I've used for years to populate this server.
    Insufficient disk space. I'll get the exact text in a moment, and I'll also try a regular Windows Explorer style copy.

EDIT:
    I just tried it again and it worked!?!

It's been about 10 hours since I last tried the copy. I had tried it 10x in the span of 2 hours when it first happened. I even waited for the machine to say it had drive balanced, but that didn't seem to make a difference.

Anyone have some guesses as to what happened here?

I don't, it's one of the reasons I was trying to determine how you were copying and what tools you were using because I use robocopy as well and I've never hit this.

If it happens again, please copy the text in the cmd window, collect client and server cabs and submit a bug as outlined in my Windows 7/Windows Home Server post. I know you're not running Windows 7 but the steps to file a bug are the same.

We pushed out a KB to fix the insufficient space issue so you should not have seen this with Power Pack 2 installed.

Thanks!
    Windows Home Server
    Friday, June 12, 2009 9:53 PM
  • Ok, I'll keep my eye on it. What do you mean to collect client and server cabs?

Friday, June 12, 2009 10:18 PM
  • Ok, I'll keep my eye on it. What do you mean to collect client and server cabs?

It's part of the procedure for submitting a bug. If you follow the link in my reply above, it points to a page where we've explained it all. You have to join our program, but I've explained how to do that too.

Thanks!
    Windows Home Server
    Friday, June 12, 2009 10:27 PM