Backup RRS feed

• Question

• Thrroughout  v.1x I had not problems with backup using DVD sets. I could do full and incremental backups. Now, with v.2, I've had all kinds of confusion using DVD backup. Either I or the program gets confused. It asks for a certain disk when I try to do incremental backup, but then tells me that is not the proper disk, sometimes even tells me that the disk is not recognized as a OneCare disk. This cause me to have to do a new full backup each time I run backup. This uses up 8 blank DVDs each time.

I have read that v2 will allow me to backup to an internal hard drive. I have an internal SATA drive I use only for backup, but can't get it to work with OneCare.

Can someone give me the steps to use to backup OneCare to an internal SATA (does not contain Windows--just used for backup)

Thanks.

Tuesday, January 22, 2008 7:30 AM

Answers

• If you want to pursue why the DVD problem is happening, please contact support.

If you wish to use the internal drive for backups, you need to configure Centralized backup.

So, step 1 is to create a Shared folder on the internal drive and set that Share to have permissions for all users to have full control.

In OneCare, under configure backup, select change settings and select the centralized backup plan. For the destination, navigate to the Share created on the internal drive.

Select the file types and the frequency of backups.

Save the settings.

-steve

Tuesday, January 22, 2008 6:47 PM
  • Yes, to use the workaround, you must use the Centralized backup for "all PCs" even if you only have one PC and no Circle.

Since your plan is currently configured for a single PC to DVD, I would first open OneCare and click Change Settings, then Change Settings on the lower left of the Backup tab. Highlight your PC and then uncheck the "Turn on backup on this PC" item. Save the plan.

Now, repeat, but follow the steps below for creating the plan for the OneCare circle using the Share you created on the second internal disk.

To create a backup plan:
    1. Open Windows Live OneCare.
    2. Under Quick links, click Change settings.
    3. On the Backup tab, click Configure backup.
    4. Do one of the following:
       Create a back up plan for a single computer
       Create a back up plan for your OneCare circle
    5. Do one or more of the following:
       Select a location to back up your files to
       Select a backup schedule
       Select the files or folders that you want to include or exclude from your backup
    6. Click Next.
    7. Review the plan, and then click Save.

You are ready to back up your files. For more information, see Back up your files.

Notes
    • If you don't want other computers in your circle to be able to modify the backup settings, in the Backup plan for all PCs area, select the Only allow these settings to be changed on a hub PC check box.
    Monday, January 28, 2008 1:10 PM

All replies

• If you want to pursue why the DVD problem is happening, please contact support.

If you wish to use the internal drive for backups, you need to configure Centralized backup.

So, step 1 is to create a Shared folder on the internal drive and set that Share to have permissions for all users to have full control.

In OneCare, under configure backup, select change settings and select the centralized backup plan. For the destination, navigate to the Share created on the internal drive.

Select the file types and the frequency of backups.

Save the settings.

-steve

Tuesday, January 22, 2008 6:47 PM
  • Thank you. I have not had time to try this yet. Will try it on Sunday or Monday and post.

Sunday, January 27, 2008 8:42 AM
  • I am lost on how to do this. I created a shared folder on the internal drive (F). but when I went to OneCare and tried to change backup setting, I got lost. It is currently set up to backup to DVD drive. I get lost in the details after this. How do I change this to F drive? I need some more detail. Do I need to set up "circle"?

Thanks,

Bob

Sunday, January 27, 2008 9:07 PM
  • Yes, to use the workaround, you must use the Centralized backup for "all PCs" even if you only have one PC and no Circle.

Since your plan is currently configured for a single PC to DVD, I would first open OneCare and click Change Settings, then Change Settings on the lower left of the Backup tab. Highlight your PC and then uncheck the "Turn on backup on this PC" item. Save the plan.

Now, repeat, but follow the steps below for creating the plan for the OneCare circle using the Share you created on the second internal disk.

To create a backup plan:
    1. Open Windows Live OneCare.
    2. Under Quick links, click Change settings.
    3. On the Backup tab, click Configure backup.
    4. Do one of the following:
       Create a back up plan for a single computer
       Create a back up plan for your OneCare circle
    5. Do one or more of the following:
       Select a location to back up your files to
       Select a backup schedule
       Select the files or folders that you want to include or exclude from your backup
    6. Click Next.
    7. Review the plan, and then click Save.

You are ready to back up your files. For more information, see Back up your files.

Notes
    • If you don't want other computers in your circle to be able to modify the backup settings, in the Backup plan for all PCs area, select the Only allow these settings to be changed on a hub PC check box.
    Monday, January 28, 2008 1:10 PM
  • Thanks so much.

Tuesday, January 29, 2008 8:15 AM