2 routers seem to be causing issues RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I have 2 routers set up in my network.

Main router conne3cted to the DSL modem

2nd router attached to first as a bridge.

WHS attached to second router/bridge.

have forwarded ports on the second router - 443, 4125 & 80 - all as TCP.

Do I need to forward ports on the main router as well - and if so at what IP address?  the second routers?

Saturday, September 3, 2011 1:04 AM

All replies

• Why not just remove one router?
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Saturday, September 3, 2011 1:18 AM
  • need the second router - it serves a purpose.

:-)

It is my VPN router.

My PS3 is connected to that router - so want the WHS connected to the same router to watch things on the PS3

Saturday, September 3, 2011 1:46 AM
  • What you are trying to do is route traffic from the Internet to your Server. Thus, you need to set up port forwarding on your first router to point to the IP address of the second and on the second to point to your Server (as you have done).
    Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.
    Saturday, September 3, 2011 8:29 AM
  • need the second router - it serves a purpose.

:-)

It is my VPN router.

My PS3 is connected to that router - so want the WHS connected to the same router to watch things on the PS3

Then you could replace the first with the second, and use a simple switch if you need more wired ports.

But if you want to keep it, you need to forward ports from the first to the second, and then from the second to your home server. That will let your home server's remote access web site work properly. It won't correct possible issues with PCs connected to the first router being unable to communicate with your server; by design all clients are expected to be on the same subnet as the server.

Saturday, September 3, 2011 12:57 PM
  • ~erased and moved to new topic
    • Edited by Ken WarrenModerator Sunday, September 4, 2011 3:52 AM remove email address
    • Edited by JJ13260 Sunday, September 4, 2011 4:35 AM
    Saturday, September 3, 2011 11:36 PM
  • ~erased and moved to new topic
    • Edited by JJ13260 Sunday, September 4, 2011 4:34 AM
    Sunday, September 4, 2011 1:05 AM
  • Ok - So I realised I was missing forwarding on the primary router as well...

So my primary router is set up with these ports forwarded... 192.168.1.108 is the IP of the 2nd router  (But the WHS thiks it is 192.168.151.1).  It's Ip range starts at 192.168.151.100

Then my secondary router - which has the WHS connected to it - forwarding is set  up like this... 192.168.151.102 is the address of the WHS

What am I doing wrong?

;-)

• Edited by nefilm99 Sunday, September 4, 2011 1:49 AM missed an important piece of info.
    Sunday, September 4, 2011 1:45 AM
  • JJ,

Please post a separate thread with your issue, rather than hijacking someone else's thread (and potentially confusing their issues). And please do not expect me to respond to an unsolicited email, when my profile says pretty clearly that I won't.

And please don't publish other people's email addresses in a public forum which is doubtless scraped regularly by spammers. Although the address you published is a spam trap which generates an automated complaint and discards the email...

Sunday, September 4, 2011 4:01 AM
  • JJ,

Please post a separate thread with your issue, rather than hijacking someone else's thread (and potentially confusing their issues). And please do not expect me to respond to an unsolicited email, when my profile says pretty clearly that I won't.

And please don't publish other people's email addresses in a public forum which is doubtless scraped regularly by spammers. Although the address you published is a spam trap which generates an automated complaint and discards the email...

Understood, Funny thing I started to go back to my post to edit out your email... Thank you for already jumping on that. I'll be sure to post a new thread sorry for the miss understanding. I'll edit out these replies here to not confuse anyone else.
    Sunday, September 4, 2011 4:33 AM
  • netfilm99

Back to the original question. I assume that with these new port forwarding rules that it's still not working? How are you testing it and what are the symptoms? Are you using an external domain name (e.g. xxx.homeserver.com)?

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.
    Sunday, September 4, 2011 9:44 AM
  • With regard to the issue of using two (or more) routers, this is useful where there are children with computers in the household - you put the children's computers and game systems all behind one router for easy management (internet access hours, bandwidth throttling etc). I know WHS v1 didn't work across a router; I don't know if WHS 2011 does.

One thing I will note with the OP's particular setup: you have both routers using 192.168.x.x address ranges. I suggest you change one router to use another private IP address range like 172.16.x.x as this will make the whole thing much clearer.

qts
    Monday, September 12, 2011 5:18 AM
  • Yes - still not working (it fell off my radar for a couple of weeks)...

I am using homeserver - do you think that might be adding to the issue?

I get a yellow warning message on my WHS saying "verifying port forwarding failed"

I think I might try QS's suggestion of moving one of the IP ranges to something completely different - just to keep things very separate - but I don't think that has anything to do with my issue.

Saturday, September 24, 2011 3:45 AM