Sorry if someone has answered this simple question already. RRS feed

• Question

• I understand the software won't be supported and all that.  My question is this:  Will the software work AT ALL after the cutoff date, or are you effectively killing it?

The reason I ask is, I don't need a malware solution; Windows Defender does that, and a decent job it does at that.  What I need is a supplement to Windows Defender, and the latest version of OneCare is the only software that did this transparently and with a fairly small footprint: backups, firewall, virus, etc.  I can live without the virus, but the backups and firewall are not linked to any definitions...so are you going to stop their functionality too?  Or will the software continue working, just not supported?             
    Tuesday, February 24, 2009 12:39 AM

Answers

• ReVeLaTeD said:

I understand the software won't be supported and all that.  My question is this:  Will the software work AT ALL after the cutoff date, or are you effectively killing it?

The reason I ask is, I don't need a malware solution; Windows Defender does that, and a decent job it does at that.  What I need is a supplement to Windows Defender, and the latest version of OneCare is the only software that did this transparently and with a fairly small footprint: backups, firewall, virus, etc.  I can live without the virus, but the backups and firewall are not linked to any definitions...so are you going to stop their functionality too?  Or will the software continue working, just not supported?             

OneCareBear provided as much information as we already know and noted that you will need antivirus protection plus Defender when OneCare ends, either by your subscription expiring, or support being ended late in 2010.

The specific answer to your question is - no, OneCare will cease functioning after your subscription ends or the end of life for OneCare arrives late in 2010, whichever comes first. Signature updates will cease to be provided and OneCare will not have a back end to talk to. It needs to talk to the servers to confirm that your subscription is active, or it goes into lock down mode - at risk status/expired. When it gets into that state, you will not be able to configure, run, or use the program and protection will be minimal at best.

-steve
    Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare & Live Mesh Forum Moderator
    Tuesday, February 24, 2009 1:27 PM

All replies

• Interesting question, though you're really not correct that Defender can fully protect you, since it's only designed to protect your PC from Spyware.  You will need a full-featured anti-malware, but that's exactly what the free 'Morro' prgram mentioned in the November 18th, 2008 announcements will be, so you could install that and have almost exactly the same protection you had with OneCare.

What will be going away is exactly what you've mentioned, the backup system and firewall.  Though the firewall might continue to protect you for a while, I'm quite certain the program will begin to display a Red 1 constantly at some point to warn you that you need to install Morro or something else for continued security.  I doubt Microsoft will immediately 'pull the rug' when the transition occurs, but I'm also fairly certain they'll nag you to death until you do.

As for the backup, this is the biggest question here, since we don't know if any facility will be provided to allow these backups to be easily restored after your subscription and/or all support for OneCare comes to an end.  However, there are known methods to recover the data from the backup zip files manually, though they're realtively messy and unfriendly, so I'd avoid them if at all possible.  Though again it's possible that the backup may continue to work for some amount of time, it's more likely you'd only be able to restore and then only if OneCare is already installed.  I think it's fairly certain that once your subscription ends (or at least support) it won't be possible to [re]-install Onecare from the website anymore, effectively ending the ability to recover a PC using OneCare.

Since you can still purchase an extended subscription through at least June 30th, 2009 that will be good for one year from that date, you can continue to use OneCare until that subscription ends in 2010.  I'd recommend trying to find a replacement for the backup before that time, either an online (Windows Live SkyDrive, Picture Gallery, others) or local backup program if you don't have broadband.

Another option to keep in mind will be Windows 7, which will include a local only backup program that operates similarly to the one in OneCare.  However, this is of course only useful if your PC(s) will be capable of being upgraded to that new operating system.  The other positive though is that you'd also receive the improvements in security, performance and  other features that Windows 7 will provide.  I know I'll be looking at this option for my nephew's PC, in combination with Morro for the anti-malware.

OneCareBear
    Windows OneCare Forum Moderator
    Tuesday, February 24, 2009 5:53 AM
  • ReVeLaTeD said:

I understand the software won't be supported and all that.  My question is this:  Will the software work AT ALL after the cutoff date, or are you effectively killing it?

OneCareBear provided as much information as we already know and noted that you will need antivirus protection plus Defender when OneCare ends, either by your subscription expiring, or support being ended late in 2010.

The specific answer to your question is - no, OneCare will cease functioning after your subscription ends or the end of life for OneCare arrives late in 2010, whichever comes first. Signature updates will cease to be provided and OneCare will not have a back end to talk to. It needs to talk to the servers to confirm that your subscription is active, or it goes into lock down mode - at risk status/expired. When it gets into that state, you will not be able to configure, run, or use the program and protection will be minimal at best.

-steve
    Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare & Live Mesh Forum Moderator
    Tuesday, February 24, 2009 1:27 PM