Request: One-Click Upload/Download Tool RRS feed

• Question

• I was wondering how hard it would be to create an Upload/download tool to donwload files from or upload files to the homeserver. Example: I mark a handful of jpegs in explorer, right-click on them and select "sent to/WHS"

These tools exist for FTP sites but I do not want to go that route with my WHS and rather use it as is.

I guess it could be some script that handled the access and login procedure to the homeserver and then either asks for the path/file or has some default directory.

I think it would be extremely helpful, but I might be alone with my opinion as a quick search returned nothing.

What do you guys think?

Thursday, July 31, 2008 4:00 PM

Answers

All replies

• Sounds like a good idea, but I think the only upload features by default are through web interface. I don't know if WHS exposes another way to do this. You could probably enable the FTP features within the server... but I just use Filezilla server Smile
    Thursday, July 31, 2008 4:25 PM
  • Possibly Brendan Grant's Web Folders 4 WHS will be of use to you.
    Thursday, July 31, 2008 5:08 PM

• Both are viable options but I was thinking about something that does not require any server or client side installs to make it portable and lightweight.
    FTP would require some installations on the server and additional open ports: the beauty about the Webinterface is that it does not require any open ports in addition to the ones used for browsing.
    Thursday, July 31, 2008 5:53 PM
  • There's nothing built into Windows Home Server, I'm afraid. I will hazard a guess that there may be a Mesh client (or preferably an add-in) eventually, but I have no idea when such a thing might be available or even if it will be.
    Friday, August 1, 2008 1:05 AM
  • While not exactly what you are looking for, my current method:

I have mapped several drives to shared folders on the WHS.  From explorer I can select files and then right click, select 'Send To' and choose any of the mapped drives.  The selected files are then copied.

Obviously this has some limitations but depending upon your needs it may be an alternative.

Saturday, August 2, 2008 7:18 AM
  • Ive got a small Photo Management server application that allows you to download photos, as well as view then, upload, etc all from the server. No database to install. Requires support for ASP, ASP.NET and read/.write permissions. Full CSS and XHTML/cross-browser compatible product. Its called "ImageIsle". I built it for the IIs and the home server. The free version download with instructions is here: http://www.giantisland.com/Products/ImageIsle_NoAdvertising.zip

Live demo of the full version is here: http://www.giantisland.com/ImageIsland/Modules/ImageManager/default.asp

Its ImageIsland Professional (only $29). I'll be adding more goodies to it over time.

Here is the website: www.GiantIsland.com. Hope that helps!

Sunday, August 3, 2008 2:19 AM
  • Check PP1 there's a multi-file U/D-load  window thru remote logon.

Thursday, August 7, 2008 8:10 PM