Purchase version of WHS RRS feed

• Question

•  

I'm awful unhappy with Microsoft...Why??? I'm running the 120 day trial version of WHS, which is about to expire. I called Microsoft as to what version to purchase for my homebrew server, and she said there is not a retail version, only one for OEM's. What do I do now????
    Tuesday, June 24, 2008 3:26 PM

Answers

• Windows Home Server isn't a retail product. It's intended for installation by OEMs like HP, and system builders like the "white box" vendor down the street. In addition it's available (through the system builder channel) to enthusiasts like the folks here. So you will need to purchase the system builder/OEM version from e.g. NewEgg, and install that. It installs just like the evaluation software you've already installed.
    Tuesday, June 24, 2008 3:41 PM
  • Many thanks that solves my problem...I work at Fry's here in Las Vegas, and through today they have it on sale.

Tuesday, June 24, 2008 3:44 PM

All replies

• Windows Home Server isn't a retail product. It's intended for installation by OEMs like HP, and system builders like the "white box" vendor down the street. In addition it's available (through the system builder channel) to enthusiasts like the folks here. So you will need to purchase the system builder/OEM version from e.g. NewEgg, and install that. It installs just like the evaluation software you've already installed.
    Tuesday, June 24, 2008 3:41 PM
  • Many thanks that solves my problem...I work at Fry's here in Las Vegas, and through today they have it on sale.

Tuesday, June 24, 2008 3:44 PM
  • Hi Jim,

I'm going to get the WHS a trial. However after I've read your article, I'm a little bit confused.
    Is that after 120 days of the WHS, You need to delete all your data and re-install the full version of WHS.
    I know you can back up all your data but still I feel a bit silly for the reason I buy the full version.

I hope you can share some of your valueable experience.

Thanks again jim.

James

Friday, June 27, 2008 9:03 AM
  • You don't need to delete all your data to install the OEM version of Windows Home Server over the eval version, James. You'll need to perform a server reinstallation, which is a special installation mode that preserves the files in your shares.
    Friday, June 27, 2008 3:32 PM