Windows 7 SKU's announced, STILL no remote desktop for HOME sku's... RRS feed

• General discussion

• Well, Microsoft have today announced the different SKU's of Windows 7 - each one is a superset of the previous one, which I think is great.

http://i.gizmodo.com/5145366/all-the-flavors-of-windows-7-explained

The Home Premium still doesn't have Remote Desktop though. Gah - why are Microsoft so clueless about this?
    Windows HOME server requires a NON HOME version of 7 in order to provide functionality of one of its more impressive features - remoting in to any desktop.

Have the WHS server team announced any sort of plan to fix this at all, either with a download or future version of WHS?
    Sigh - sometimes I think Microsoft are their own worst enemies.... :(

Richard.
    Tuesday, February 3, 2009 8:04 PM

All replies

• I agree with you Richard. 

The other issue is that these come with the Media Center and I like to remote into the media centers from my computer.   One of many reasons why I uninstalled Vista on my Media centers and went back to MCE 2005. 

I had hoped that they would include this ability in windows 7 especially as they make a big deal of this feature with Windows home server but they really do not emphasize that you cannot  do this with the Home Premium versions. 

Hmmmmm - HOME server  HOME Premium... Scratching my head!!!
    Wednesday, February 4, 2009 1:36 PM
  • Richard Morton said:

Well, Microsoft have today announced the different SKU's of Windows 7 - each one is a superset of the previous one, which I think is great.

http://i.gizmodo.com/5145366/all-the-flavors-of-windows-7-explained

The Home Premium still doesn't have Remote Desktop though. Gah - why are Microsoft so clueless about this?
    Windows HOME server requires a NON HOME version of 7 in order to provide functionality of one of its more impressive features - remoting in to any desktop.

Have the WHS server team announced any sort of plan to fix this at all, either with a download or future version of WHS?

No.  And since they have no control over what the Win 7 development team does, I wouldn't expect it to ever work through RDC (outside of complaining to the Win 7 dev team, which should be done now before it goes gold).

Richard Morton said:

Sigh - sometimes I think Microsoft are their own worst enemies.... :(

Richard.

Wednesday, February 4, 2009 3:11 PM
  • Seems to me that MS could include Remote Desktop feature with the Home Server Connector install???
    Wednesday, February 4, 2009 10:30 PM
  • No. Incoming Remote Desktop connections have to be supported in the client operating system. If the Vista/Windows 7/Whatever comes next teams don't choose to put that support in some SKUs of their products, then there is nothing that the WHS team can do on that front.

Now, it would be very interesting if they gave up on Remote Desktop for client desktop access, and found a way to use, say, Live Mesh, wouldn't it? Not that I know anything in that area (seriously, I'm speculating and talking through my hat here), but it would be possible in theory, as Live Mesh gives you desktop access to a client PC through Remote Assistance, I believe. The handshake is much longer and more complex, though...

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Wednesday, February 4, 2009 10:53 PM