Remove bulk duplicates RRS feed

• Question

• Anyone know of a good way or a good tool to remove/merge duplicates in bulk in the crm system, we have to many duplicated records from various imports to manually remove/merge each record.
    Tuesday, January 26, 2010 9:27 AM

Answers

• I understand, if you contact Microsoft Support, they may have some tools they can recommend or point you to helpful instruction in the SDK. 
    Best Regards, Donna
    • Marked as answer by Jim Glass Jr Friday, January 29, 2010 4:11 PM
    Friday, January 29, 2010 1:50 PM

All replies

• Hello, your options are to:
    (1) merge the duplicates together in pairs
    (2) deactivate the duplicates
    (3) delete the dupicates

As far as I know, there isn't a tool that can merge data from more than two records at a time. Sometimes it's hard just determining which value should be retained when two values are different. For example, I don't know how you would merge three or four records together if they all had different phones numbers.
    Tuesday, January 26, 2010 9:38 AM
  • Hi Neil,

Thanks for the quick response, personally I dont care about which of the record would be the active one, only thing I need is to have 1 record active and move activities from the other ones.

Tuesday, January 26, 2010 9:47 AM
  • The easiest was to do this is just to use CTRL+click to multi-select the contacts you want to deactivate and then select More Actions > Deactivate.
    Tuesday, January 26, 2010 1:31 PM
  • Hi Neil,

Thanks again for your input, currently we have to many records to do this manually, this is why I am looking for a tool or something that can ease the process, looks like we will have to do this via SQL script, find duplicates and set the status there to inactive.
    Tuesday, January 26, 2010 2:41 PM
  • Direct updates, deletes, modification to the CRM database could cause unexpected issues and potentially leave your installation in an unsupported state.  There is no, out-of-the-box tool to accomplish what you want to do.  I suggest contacting Microsoft Support to see if they have any options or direction they can provide.
    Best Regards, Donna
    Thursday, January 28, 2010 5:42 PM
  • Thank you for your input Donna,

I am aware of the implications with direct changes to the database, however given the problem (currently the database is unusable in its current state) it is either direct changes in the form of setting deletionstatecode/statuscode or start from scratch.
    Friday, January 29, 2010 9:53 AM
  • I understand, if you contact Microsoft Support, they may have some tools they can recommend or point you to helpful instruction in the SDK. 
    Best Regards, Donna
    • Marked as answer by Jim Glass Jr Friday, January 29, 2010 4:11 PM
    Friday, January 29, 2010 1:50 PM