Access Backups after Migration RRS feed

• Question

• With WHS v2 available soon, I would like to migrate.  However, I occasionally need to access old workstation backups and these would not be available after migration.  Can I use a virtual instance of WHS v1 to access the backups if I copy the DE files to another location prior to migration?  If so, which filres on the existing server need to be copied and what procedures are necessary to allow the virtual WHS to open the old backups?

Thursday, April 7, 2011 8:06 PM

All replies

• That wouldn't work, you actually would have to keep the WHS v1 server
    going to have something to understand those backups.

Your only choice other than that is to restore data from those backups
    onto a live PC and back up the files to the new WHS v2 server.

Bob Comer - Microsoft MVP Virtual Machine
    Thursday, April 7, 2011 8:20 PM
  • Bob,

WHS v1 would be the OS on the virtual machine.  Would it be able to open/interpret the data files?

Thursday, April 7, 2011 11:01 PM
  • Do you actually need access to the entire workstation backup, or just a few folders from that workstation..  

If it's just a few folders then your best bet is to open the backups up in the console before your migrate, which will map all of those files to a temporary network drive at which point you can copy those files to your local desktop, you could then save those on an external drive.  At which point you can retire your WHS V1 hardware, and re-use the drives.  (might want to make a couple of copies of these files for redundancy at this point)

I don't think you can open backups from within WHS in an RDP session.  From what I recall if you try opening it from an RDP session it throws up a message saying that you have to open them from the console of a client computer.   So not only would you have to keep WHS V1 running but you would also need a client PC with the corresponding connector software installed so you could open the console.

Thursday, April 7, 2011 11:16 PM
  • Sometimes a few files, sometimes the better part of an entire drive.  You're right about having to run the console from a client machine.  Arghh!  I suppose it's not too hard to have a virtual machine running the WHS v1 connector software but what a PIA.

Thursday, April 7, 2011 11:48 PM
  • I wouldn't have the faintest idea on getting them into the VM -- it's
    not just big compressed files, its sectors and points to common
    sectors, and indexes -- it's all really complicated.

Bob Comer - Microsoft MVP Virtual Machine
    Friday, April 8, 2011 2:21 AM
  • Sounds like your only real option other than keeping WHS V1 plus a client running would be to expand the backups, and copy everything you need out to some external drives... luckily storage is cheap... you can get a 2tb drive, and stick it in an enclosure for under $100.

Friday, April 8, 2011 3:08 AM