Bluescreen after genuine advantage installation RRS feed

• Question

• I had the "Windows Genuine Advantage" patch pushed to my laptop(running XP home edition) yesterday. This morning on the first restart after the patch and on every subsequent restart my system generates a blue screen:

STOP: c0000021a Fatal System Error
    The Windows Logon Process system process terminated unexpectedly with a status of 0xc0000005 ...
    The system has shut down

Everything I've tried to get me in has failed, including safe mode and command line safe mode.

Any ideas? I certainly don't want to "restore to factory configuration"  with the restore disk and probably lose everything on the system.

Sunday, May 7, 2006 4:06 AM

Answers

• Thank you for the update. I am glad to hear that the hard drive is till OK. Since the technnical support within this forum is relegated to WGA specific support we will not be able to assist you further due to our limited scope here.

If you could please create a Windows XP support case at : http://support.microsoft.com/gp/assistsupport

They will be able to assist you. From the limited knowledge I have on this issue currently it sounds like they may do a restore of your registry to get you up and running again. You may also want to try the Last Known Good boot option.

hth

dave

Tuesday, May 9, 2006 2:21 AM

All replies

• We have never seen the installation of the WIndows Genuine Advantage create such a scenario. Just to confirm there were absolutely no other chnages or Widnows Updates made to the system other than installing the WGA update?

In either case in order to provide specific Operating System support for the issue you describe I would recommend you check your support options available for Windows XP here:

www.support.microsoft.com

Hope this helps

dave

Monday, May 8, 2006 6:32 AM
  • I didn't see anything else go in at the time. I got the "There are updates ready for your computer" message come up and I **did** see the agreement come up for the Genuine Advantage install but nothing else.  I (obviously) can't get into Windows XP to look, but I've demonstrated to myself that I can boot Knoppix and access the disks. Is there anything I can look at to tell me what was installed?

thanks,

Monday, May 8, 2006 11:52 PM
  • Thank you for the update. I am glad to hear that the hard drive is till OK. Since the technnical support within this forum is relegated to WGA specific support we will not be able to assist you further due to our limited scope here.

If you could please create a Windows XP support case at : http://support.microsoft.com/gp/assistsupport

They will be able to assist you. From the limited knowledge I have on this issue currently it sounds like they may do a restore of your registry to get you up and running again. You may also want to try the Last Known Good boot option.

hth

dave

Tuesday, May 9, 2006 2:21 AM
  • Can you please tell me how did you fix this problem???

Sunday, September 16, 2007 6:05 PM