Windows Live one care RRS feed

• Question

• I already have 3 computer with one care since I have bought  a fourth one, is it possible to buy a licence for one additional computer or do I have to by an other licence for 3 new computer
    Friday, June 26, 2009 11:23 PM

Answers

• The official answer is that you need to purchase another license for the 4th PC, which actually covers 3 more computers for one year. It will need to activated under a differnt LiveID than the first subscription you have.

However, OneCare will stop being sold at retail in about a week. OneCare is going to be fully supported through the end of your subscription, but it will not be able to be renewed when it ends. And all OneCare support will end by 12/31/10.

Although it is technically against the terms of the license, I suggest installing and activating on the 4th PC with your current subscription LiveID. Within a few months you will be provided instructions on how to switch to the free Microsoft Security Essentials which has just gone to beta test. It is due for release later this year and includes the protection of OneCare for viruses and spyware, but does not include backup, tune-up, printer sharing, or a firewall.

-steve
    Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare, Live Mesh, & MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator
    Friday, June 26, 2009 11:55 PM

All replies

• There are only 3 computer subscriptions. To add a fourth computer you would need a full suscription purchased using a different Live ID.
    Jim - MVP Windows Live - Forum Moderator - Live One Care - Live Mesh - Microsoft Security Essentials
    Friday, June 26, 2009 11:51 PM
  • The official answer is that you need to purchase another license for the 4th PC, which actually covers 3 more computers for one year. It will need to activated under a differnt LiveID than the first subscription you have.

However, OneCare will stop being sold at retail in about a week. OneCare is going to be fully supported through the end of your subscription, but it will not be able to be renewed when it ends. And all OneCare support will end by 12/31/10.

Although it is technically against the terms of the license, I suggest installing and activating on the 4th PC with your current subscription LiveID. Within a few months you will be provided instructions on how to switch to the free Microsoft Security Essentials which has just gone to beta test. It is due for release later this year and includes the protection of OneCare for viruses and spyware, but does not include backup, tune-up, printer sharing, or a firewall.

-steve
    Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare, Live Mesh, & MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator
    Friday, June 26, 2009 11:55 PM