After install SP3 for Windows XP Home - things are a mess - HELP!! RRS feed

• Question

• I had to use my Windows XP CD to recover from the continual rebooting /bsod /reboot cycle and revert to SP2.  I cannot no longer apply any updates, and I am trying to copy off files and folders for a fresh install.  I get constant errors that I do not have rights to the files or folders to copy, move or even open them.  I have gone into the registry and given my user, administrator, everyone full rights to everything in the registry, finally gave rights to restricted.

I cannot change any rights on the files, I get the error that I do not have the rights to files and folders.  I am the only user on this box, I did create a new admin user, but that user cannot move or copy any files. 

I have tried all the hacks and suggestions I have found so far, even downloaded a couple of tool with no luck.

What a mess.  I am stuck with Windows because of my applications :-(

• Moved by Don Pattee Wednesday, March 25, 2009 11:05 PM xp (Moved from Windows HPC Server Deployment, Management, and Administration to Off-Topic Posts (Do Not Post Here))
    Sunday, May 25, 2008 1:08 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hi, I get exactly the same thing when I do a fresh install and update to SP3 none of the other updates work, i.e. .Net Frameworks wont install , nor Windows Media Player 11 etc...I think this issue has to do with Windows Installer (3.1 needs to be installed I think) If I goto custom install 1st and it install's the Windows Installer and then I install SP3 then all goes well, but otherwise no updates install neither does MySQL.

Does anyone know if Microsoft has released a new version of the Windows Installer that isn't compatable with these programs or am I missing something?!

Best Wishes,

KP

Monday, June 2, 2008 3:51 PM
  •  

Thanks for your posts. Unfortunately you picked the wrong forum for your question. This forum is dedicated to High Performance Computing on Windows. It is unlikely that someone on this forum will respond accordingly.

Please use the MSDN forum index at http://forums.microsoft.com/default.aspx to resubmit. Or you may want to call our Customer Services

Sorry for the inconvenience!

Genia

Thursday, June 5, 2008 5:22 AM
  • This was moved out of the HPC forum.

You can ask this at www.answers.microsoft.com.

Thanks!

Ed Price (a.k.a User Ed), SQL Server Experience Program Manager (Blog, Twitter, Wiki)

Monday, February 20, 2012 9:09 AM