Money 2005 UK (windows 10) problem entering number function on transaction box RRS feed

• Question

• Have already migrated my Money 2005 UK onto windows 10 with no earlier problems before. Now i am just starting to get a problem when entering transaction details on my account,i.e. when i try to enter a number in the amount box nothing happens i just get the flickering vertical line. I have tried using the number lock key pad and the numerical numbers along the top of the keyboard layout.

Anybody got any ideas what could be the cause of the problem or is it me doing something wrong?.

Tuesday, October 6, 2015 1:00 PM

All replies

• I presume you have rebooted your computer.

Keep extra backups on other media.

See if a File->New->NewFile works. Make sure it has a unique name.

If the new file does not work for that symptom and you have rebooted, I would reinstall Money with the UK install file available via what is currently the second post in this forum.

Tuesday, October 6, 2015 10:48 PM
  • I presume you have rebooted your computer.

Keep extra backups on other media.

See if a File->New->NewFile works. Make sure it has a unique name.

If the new file does not work for that symptom and you have rebooted, I would reinstall Money with the UK install file available via what is currently the second post in this forum.

Cal

Thanks for your quick responce. As i am not that computer literate could you explain what "file->newfile->" is i.e. what does it do and briefly how do i do it?.

Wednesday, October 7, 2015 8:43 AM
  • File->New->NewFile  is shorthand for click File at the top left of the Money window. (it is the far left command of a series of commands). That brings down a drop-down menu. From that select New. That brings a little fly-out menu, from which you would select "New File". The point is to see if the behavior is associated with your particular Money file, or whether the problem is associated with the Money installation or something that would affect even a new file.

To switch back to a recently-used file, you can click File and choose a file from the list of files at the bottom of the drop-down menu.

Wednesday, October 7, 2015 2:11 PM
  • File->New->NewFile  is shorthand for click File at the top left of the Money window. (it is the far left command of a series of commands). That brings down a drop-down menu. From that select New. That brings a little fly-out menu, from which you would select "New File". The point is to see if the behavior is associated with your particular Money file, or whether the problem is associated with the Money installation or something that would affect even a new file.

To switch back to a recently-used file, you can click File and choose a file from the list of files at the bottom of the drop-down menu.

Cal

Thanks for the explanation. I did reboot and the problem seems to have gone away ! if it re-occurs i will put your sound advice into action.

Wednesday, October 7, 2015 6:51 PM
  • Nice. While you are thinking about Money, here is the backup procedure I would use with Money 2005:

In  Tools->Settings->BackupOptions]
    I suggest checking
     x Automatically backup to hard disk on exit
      x Prompt me before backing up each time*
      x Make my file small ...

Then periodically, perhaps once per month or more, copy your
    latest backup (named differently from your earlier backups) to a
    CDR. With XP, this can be a copy and paste operation. Otherwise
    use the burning software that came with your CDR drive.

I strongly suggest use of a USB Flash drive also, in addition to
    backing up to your hard drive.  They typically act like a big
    floppy.  For a more automated way to make multiple backups, see
    Glyn Simpson's method at http://money.mvps.org/backup.aspx

*  This has two advantages.  You can change the file name
    occasionally.  I like to pick a name something like money151013.
    Then it is easy to change the name to have multiple backups.  The
    .mbf extension is automatic.  The other advantage is that you can
    choose "Don't Back Up, or you change your mind about exiting by
    simply clicking the X in the upper right of the pop-up box.

Thursday, October 8, 2015 12:41 AM
  • In Windows 10 (and Windows 8/8.1) you can set up File History on a separate disk. File History will back up versions of all your user files, not just Money data files, by default every hour.

Note that File History needs a separate, dedicated disk not just a different partition on the same disk.

Thursday, October 8, 2015 6:51 AM
  • Nice. While you are thinking about Money, here is the backup procedure I would use with Money 2005:

In  Tools->Settings->BackupOptions]
    I suggest checking
     x Automatically backup to hard disk on exit
      x Prompt me before backing up each time*
      x Make my file small ...

Then periodically, perhaps once per month or more, copy your
    latest backup (named differently from your earlier backups) to a
    CDR. With XP, this can be a copy and paste operation. Otherwise
    use the burning software that came with your CDR drive.

I strongly suggest use of a USB Flash drive also, in addition to
    backing up to your hard drive.  They typically act like a big
    floppy.  For a more automated way to make multiple backups, see
    Glyn Simpson's method at http://money.mvps.org/backup.aspx

*  This has two advantages.  You can change the file name
    occasionally.  I like to pick a name something like money151013.
    Then it is easy to change the name to have multiple backups.  The
    .mbf extension is automatic.  The other advantage is that you can
    choose "Don't Back Up, or you change your mind about exiting by
    simply clicking the X in the upper right of the pop-up box.

Cal/Dominic

Once again it is great to have Money experts like yourselves to help the unfortunate few who sometimes struggle to overcome some of the technicalities that Money sometimes throws at us. I have already done the back up options on my two laptops to make sure that i do not lose any data. One last question ! is it possible to print off any of the pages on threads to keep as a paper backup ?.

Thursday, October 8, 2015 8:57 AM
  • is it possible to print off any of the pages on threads to keep as a paper backup ?.

You could make reports and print those.
    Thursday, October 8, 2015 2:37 PM
  • Is it possible to print off any of the pages on threads to keep as a paper backup ?.You view threads in a browser, so Ctrl+P will print the page to PDF, paper or any other installed print facility.

You view threads in a browser, so Ctrl+P will print the page to PDF, paper or any other installed print facility.

Web pages can be copied and pasted into a word processor if you want to edit the content.

Thursday, October 8, 2015 5:10 PM