Do i need to install the MS09-048 update ? RRS feed

• Question

• I don't really know what to do here...i always have the automatic updates off on all my computers and i just selectively check and install the ones needed manually (control freak cause i had bad automatic updates problems) so this TCP/IP update seems really important and i just don't know if by windows server 2003 it includes the windows home server power pack 2 as well...

I tried to download and manually install it but i got a weird "windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item C:\windowsserver2003-kb967723-x86-ENU.exe"

thanks in advance
    Wednesday, September 9, 2009 3:33 PM

Answers

• Vassilis, there is a Microsoft Knowledgebase article that gets updated before every Patch Tuesday; it details what updates are for what operating systems. In general, if it's for Window Server 2003, it's also for Windows Home Server. If the particular component isn't installed as part of Windows Home Server, the update will normally fail. I think it unlikely that the update you mention would fail in that fashion, but if you choose to download updates and install them manually, on most Windows Home Server installations you have to go through additional steps to get the update to install: after you download it (presumably to the shares?) copy it to the server desktop, right click, select properties, and choose to unblock it, then run it. None of this is required if you install updates through the console.

But you should really allow Windows Home Server to determine what updates it needs, not make that determination yourself. In the case of Internet Explorer 8, you can decline the update when it's presented to you. Eventually it will wind up being forced anyway, but declining will prevent installation for the time being. (However, the presence of Internet Explorer 8 hasn't caused any problems for my servers.)

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Marked as answer by Vassilis C. _ Thursday, September 10, 2009 6:17 AM
    Wednesday, September 9, 2009 4:14 PM

All replies

• On your server, the only updates you should install are those that Microsoft distributes specifically for Windows Home Server. You can get those by using the Update Now... button in the console.
    • Marked as answer by Vassilis C. _ Wednesday, September 9, 2009 3:54 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by Vassilis C. _ Thursday, September 10, 2009 6:17 AM
    Wednesday, September 9, 2009 3:52 PM
  • so if i understand correctly the answer is no...

I have the automatic updates off cause i read scary stories about people servers messed up after this-that update (specially when the server installed as an important update the IE 8) so I'm bit of reluctant on turning them on...
    Wednesday, September 9, 2009 3:58 PM
  • Vassilis, there is a Microsoft Knowledgebase article that gets updated before every Patch Tuesday; it details what updates are for what operating systems. In general, if it's for Window Server 2003, it's also for Windows Home Server. If the particular component isn't installed as part of Windows Home Server, the update will normally fail. I think it unlikely that the update you mention would fail in that fashion, but if you choose to download updates and install them manually, on most Windows Home Server installations you have to go through additional steps to get the update to install: after you download it (presumably to the shares?) copy it to the server desktop, right click, select properties, and choose to unblock it, then run it. None of this is required if you install updates through the console.

But you should really allow Windows Home Server to determine what updates it needs, not make that determination yourself. In the case of Internet Explorer 8, you can decline the update when it's presented to you. Eventually it will wind up being forced anyway, but declining will prevent installation for the time being. (However, the presence of Internet Explorer 8 hasn't caused any problems for my servers.)

• Marked as answer by Vassilis C. _ Thursday, September 10, 2009 6:17 AM
    Wednesday, September 9, 2009 4:14 PM
  • after you download it (presumably to the shares?) copy it to the server desktop, right click, select properties, and choose to unblock it, then run it. None of this is required if you install updates through the console.

i didn't know about that! That did the trick and i installed it manually...
    thank you Ken

Wednesday, September 9, 2009 4:23 PM