Update records using Import Data Wizard RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I've tried to do an update of e-mails in my system. They are all missing information in the Description fields. So i read about this update method:

http://weblogs.asp.net/ranko/archive/2009/07/30/updating-records-with-ms-dynamic-crm-4-0-import-wizard.aspx

Exported all e-mails, including their guids, edited rows in excel, and tried to import. The mapping is set to automatic, and update existing records works.

But i'm getting this message:
    "Import has encountered an error and has been canceled. Your system has been resored to its original state. At least one attribute mapping has its IsSystem attribute set to 1. Import cannot create system attribute mappings."

I've included just three fields in the csv. Email; Subject; Description. I even removed Subject and got the same message.

Any suggestions on what i could do to make this work?

thanks

Friday, February 12, 2010 5:08 PM

Answers

• I FOUND THE SOLUTION!  Ok so let me caveat this first by saying Microsoft does not support enriching data even though it's technically still a part of the product.  But here is what I did to get this to work.

So the reason this was not working for accounts but was working for contacts was because we had renamed the "Account" entity to "Company".  For some reason the enrich data feature did not like this.  Since we didn't rename contacts it worked fine for contacts.  So first things first, if you've renamed your entity you will probably need to rename it back (at least when you want to perform these enrich data imports).  From there you need the CSV file to be set so that the first column is your guids.  The title of this column needs to be the entity name.  You do NOT need the modified on column as some older articles suggest.  I believe this was there to prevent you from updating data that has been updated since you exported the data but if you are confident with your changes then you do not need this column.  After that you need any columns that contain the data you want to update.   For example our account import contained the following

Account,Web Site
    {00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000},http://www.companyurl.com

Obviously the company had the proper guid number.  But that worked for us.  Again, not supported but hopefully this will help you since it has been a big frustration on our part for a while.  Also note we've been using this method for contacts for the past year without any adverse side effects but it was obviously pulled from the product prior to launch for a reason so use at your own risk. 
    Wednesday, February 24, 2010 3:53 PM
  • I would try Ebax, Scribe or Codeplex for alternative methods.

Best Regards | Twitter: edwardsdna
    • Marked as answer by Jim Glass Jr Monday, February 15, 2010 8:57 PM
    Monday, February 15, 2010 5:51 PM

All replies

• You're e-mail records are in a closed state since they were most likely closed.  That is probably why you are getting the error.  You can try a test on one of the records by creating a workflow that changes the e-mail to draft status, do the update to that record, then create another workflow and run it to change the status back to Sent or whatever status is needed.

I have not tested the above so let me know if you have trouble.

Also, ensure you have all required e-mail field attributes in your import list.  You can check that by opening the e-mail entity and taking a look at the attributes to see which are required or create a data map for e-mail and it will show you required fields.
    Friday, February 12, 2010 7:02 PM
  • Thanks Donna,

I've tested this on an image. I teste to import/update 7 e-mails, all with the status of draft. Same error occuring.

As for required attributes, i think the only required is Owner, which i included. The data map shows one required: Message ID Dup Check * . Whats that?

Any other ideas on how to make this work?

If not, any other "easy" ways to update existing data in CRM?

Sunday, February 14, 2010 3:46 PM
  • I would try Ebax, Scribe or Codeplex for alternative methods.

• Marked as answer by Jim Glass Jr Monday, February 15, 2010 8:57 PM
    Monday, February 15, 2010 5:51 PM
  • Hi,

Ronald Lemmen might have the solution to your problem: http://ronaldlemmen.blogspot.com/2007/03/import-has-encountered-error-and-has.html
    Henrik Jensen Instructor / Consultant MCP, MCAD, MCSD, MCTS, MCPD, MCITP, MBSS, MBSP, MCT www.crmblog.dk (Danish only)
    Tuesday, February 16, 2010 8:35 AM
  • Thanks Henrik,

The article is about another error message.

Anyone else have som input on what could create the initial error message i posted.

"Import has encountered an error and has been canceled. Your system has been resored to its original state. At least one attribute mapping has its IsSystem attribute set to 1. Import cannot create system attribute mappings."

Tuesday, February 16, 2010 3:25 PM
  • I don't think the enrich data method is going to work for you.  Please try the other tools I referenced above.

Thank you
    Tuesday, February 16, 2010 6:36 PM
  • Carl,

I am working on this same issue.  I actually have been very successful at enriching data on contact records using the guid + any data that I want to import.  Where I get this error is on accounts (companies).  I've reduced my csv file down to just the GUID and a single field and it still fails so I'm guessing there is a database setting on accounts that isn't on contacts that is preventing this.  I'm still looking into it and I'll post if I find a solution. 
    Wednesday, February 24, 2010 3:17 PM
  • I FOUND THE SOLUTION!  Ok so let me caveat this first by saying Microsoft does not support enriching data even though it's technically still a part of the product.  But here is what I did to get this to work.

So the reason this was not working for accounts but was working for contacts was because we had renamed the "Account" entity to "Company".  For some reason the enrich data feature did not like this.  Since we didn't rename contacts it worked fine for contacts.  So first things first, if you've renamed your entity you will probably need to rename it back (at least when you want to perform these enrich data imports).  From there you need the CSV file to be set so that the first column is your guids.  The title of this column needs to be the entity name.  You do NOT need the modified on column as some older articles suggest.  I believe this was there to prevent you from updating data that has been updated since you exported the data but if you are confident with your changes then you do not need this column.  After that you need any columns that contain the data you want to update.   For example our account import contained the following

Account,Web Site
    {00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000},http://www.companyurl.com

Obviously the company had the proper guid number.  But that worked for us.  Again, not supported but hopefully this will help you since it has been a big frustration on our part for a while.  Also note we've been using this method for contacts for the past year without any adverse side effects but it was obviously pulled from the product prior to launch for a reason so use at your own risk. 
    Wednesday, February 24, 2010 3:53 PM
  • Great, glad you found the solution and glad you posted that using the Enrich Data feature is not currently supported.  The solutions I provided are supported solutions.

Thank you

Wednesday, February 24, 2010 5:26 PM
  • Thanks Mesfin1 - I had exactly the same problem with Lead renamed as _Lead and when I changed it back the import worked.  For some reason when I had 'Do not import duplicate records' checked it failed 67 of 358 (although all of the records had just been exported so they were all being updated).  When I checked 'Import Duplicate records' all 358 were imported.  I didn't realise using MS CRM required cheat sheets ;-)
    Thursday, July 8, 2010 4:52 PM
  • Hi,

I've tried to do an update of e-mails in my system. They are all missing information in the Description fields. So i read about this update method:

http://weblogs.asp.net/ranko/archive/2009/07/30/updating-records-with-ms-dynamic-crm-4-0-import-wizard.aspx

Exported all e-mails, including their guids, edited rows in excel, and tried to import. The mapping is set to automatic, and update existing records works.

But i'm getting this message:

I've included just three fields in the csv. Email; Subject; Description. I even removed Subject and got the same message.

Any suggestions on what i could do to make this work?

thanks

Am getting the same error as Carl...anybody found a simple solution? Reading the threads and dont see an answer?

Thanks very much in advance.

Sunday, July 11, 2010 2:16 AM
  • Guys, I am sorry, but i don't think that renaming back the entity is a right solution.

I found the solution and it is much simpler then you writing here.

So, After renaming the entity, you should rename entityid "display name" to entity name, thats all. I tested it on contacts and accounts.

Have a nice day.

Friday, September 23, 2011 10:46 AM