Drive extender not migrating data LZreallocator won't fix this... RRS feed

• General discussion

• Just an FYI here's my scenario:

WHS installed on 250GB drive with two 320GB for storage.  I removed both of the 320 (I didn't have much data) and left it like that for awhile. 

My backups eventually filled up the 250GB - even after adding more drives for storage I couldn't get the backups moved.  I tried adding/readding drives, turning duplication on and off, and running lzreallocator.  Ultimately I copied my data off, then deleted all of my backups.  I added the storage drives and all seems fine now (obviously)

Just figured I'd let everyone know that you really do need to keep the storage drives added.  If you remove them, be sure to add others immediately since you won't get your 'landing pad' back until backup cleanup runs enough times to clear out the old backups.  I also wish there was a clear concise explanation so people know that you really need a ~500GB drive as the primary rather than "your smallest drive"

As a network admin, I can say that WHS has the most ridiculous quirks I've ever seen.  This entire landing pad drive utilization thing is such a mess with Vista - Storage is cheap..  I wish they'd just use the additional drives as a mirrored array (or raid 10 with 4+ drives) rather than the current raid 5-ish method.
    Friday, October 24, 2008 10:59 PM

All replies

• JacobWM said:

Just an FYI here's my scenario:

WHS installed on 250GB drive with two 320GB for storage.  I removed both of the 320 (I didn't have much data) and left it like that for awhile. 

My backups eventually filled up the 250GB - even after adding more drives for storage I couldn't get the backups moved.  I tried adding/readding drives, turning duplication on and off, and running lzreallocator.  Ultimately I copied my data off, then deleted all of my backups.  I added the storage drives and all seems fine now (obviously)

That's because WHS tries to keep the entire backup database on a single drive.  If you had deleted the entire backup database and started over with sufficient storage space, it wouldn't have stored any of the backup database on the primary drive.  (And as you found out, lareallocator won't help in that case because that tool creates dummy files to fill up the space, but WHS will only move data from shares, not the backup database.)

JacobWM said:

Just figured I'd let everyone know that you really do need to keep the storage drives added.  If you remove them, be sure to add others immediately since you won't get your 'landing pad' back until backup cleanup runs enough times to clear out the old backups.

Actually, you want to add a new drive first, then remove the old one.  Not the other way around.

JacobWM said:

I also wish there was a clear concise explanation so people know that you really need a ~500GB drive as the primary rather than "your smallest drive"

No one has ever said "your smallest drive".  You should use a hard drive of sufficient capacity (I'd say at least 300 GB) for your primary drive.  Besides, the target audience is the average people who know nothing about computers and will purchase a pre-built unit (such as the HP MSS).  They wouldn't need to worry about the size of the primary hard drive.

JacobWM said:

As a network admin, I can say that WHS has the most ridiculous quirks I've ever seen.  This entire landing pad drive utilization thing is such a mess with Vista - Storage is cheap..

MS is aware of the landing zone issue with regards to Vista.

JacobWM said:

I wish they'd just use the additional drives as a mirrored array (or raid 10 with 4+ drives) rather than the current raid 5-ish method.

It's not a RAID 5-ish method.  Folder Duplication most closely resembles a mirror (RAID 1).  It saves everything on 2 different drives, but it is controlled on a per-share basis.  As for using actual RAID, that's not going to happen because the average user wouldn't have a clue as to what you're talking about.

Saturday, October 25, 2008 2:35 AM