Proposed answers - no longer an activity? RRS feed

• Question

• I used to get 'Contributed a proposed answer' in my Activities and I noticed it's no longer showing up. Is it no longer an activity?

Thanks.

For every expert, there is an equal and opposite expert. - Becker's Law

My blog
    Friday, July 22, 2011 3:21 AM

Answers

• Well it is supposed to be, bug logged.
    Community Forums Program Manager
    Friday, July 22, 2011 5:12 PM
    Answerer

All replies

• Marking is showing up. Contributing...I'll have to look into that. I think it should be in there as an activity.
    Friday, July 22, 2011 5:23 AM
    Answerer
  • No, it's no longer an activity. I haven't seen it last few days.

My blog
    Friday, July 22, 2011 2:04 PM
  • Well it is supposed to be, bug logged.
    Friday, July 22, 2011 5:12 PM
    Answerer
  • Hello Naomi & Brent,

I do have a actual "Marked a proposed answer to the question", so it works.

Olaf Helper
    * cogito ergo sum * errare humanum est * quote erat demonstrandum *
    Wenn ich denke, ist das ein Fehler und das beweise ich täglich
    Blog Xing
    Friday, July 22, 2011 5:38 PM
  • Olaf,

I'm talking about the opposite. If my answer is proposed, I used to see it also. I do see everything I proposed or voted.

My blog
    Friday, July 22, 2011 5:41 PM
  • Sorry, a misunderstanding.

Actually I do have a "Contributed a helpful post to the " in my activity as well, so it work. But it seems it very slowly at the moment, it takes some time until new activities appear.

Olaf Helper
    * cogito ergo sum * errare humanum est * quote erat demonstrandum *
    Wenn ich denke, ist das ein Fehler und das beweise ich täglich
    Blog Xing
    Sunday, July 24, 2011 6:00 AM
  • I was talking about a case when the answer was proposed by someone. This is no longer shown in activities. 

My blog
    Sunday, July 24, 2011 6:48 AM
  • > I was talking about a case when the answer was proposed by someone. This is no longer shown in activities.

Why should it be ?

Until someone has said that it really is the answer to the question posed by the OP then there should be no points /activities for it. (It's also a far too easy way to play the system - propose the answers of your friends and in return they propose yours)

As always I am amazed that you seem to spend all your time bothering about the number of activities you have and how to play the system into giving you more. Just what do you see as the point of getting more and more activities? I continue to see none and prefer just to answer questions and move questions to the right forums so they get answers. Isn't that the point of us being here?

Mike Walsh

SP 2010 "FAQ" (mainly useful links): http://wssv4faq.mindsharp.com/default.aspx
    WSS3/MOSS FAQ (FAQ and Links) http://wssv3faq.mindsharp.com/default.aspx
    Both also have links to extensive book lists and to (free) on-line chapters
    Sunday, July 24, 2011 7:38 AM
  • Mike,

I'm just paying attention to my activities and yes, I like to check them. If there used to be something until recent and then disappeared, should not I report it?

Yes, propositions don't affect points, but I'm still quite interested in who found my answer to be the the possible answer for the thread. Just out of curiosity.

My blog
    Sunday, July 24, 2011 2:42 PM
  • Until someone has said that it really is the answer to the question posed by the OP then there should be no points /activities for it. (It's also a far too easy way to play the system - propose the answers of your friends and in return they propose yours)

As always I am amazed that you seem to spend all your time bothering about the number of activities you have and how to play the system into giving you more. Just what do you see as the point of getting more and more activities? I continue to see none and prefer just to answer questions and move questions to the right forums so they get answers. Isn't that the point of us being here?

Naomi is right, this is probably a bug, or at least we are looking into it. There are some activities that don't actually earn points, this is one of them. This would show up in their recent activity feed but not award points. Proposing answers is a tool for the general community member to help the few privileged users that happen to be in the answer/moderator roles identify potential answers, intending to help them identify stuff they could more quickly confirm. People debate the usefulness of the feature, but data has show it is useful at a level where we are going to be keeping it for a while. At least until we re evaluate how answer marking works in the system (hopefully sometime this next year).

Sunday, July 24, 2011 5:15 PM
    Answerer
  • It's main intent is to enable 'anyone' to identify value, helping 'everyone' understand what the community thinks is valuable. This is useful for the general end user to see what people think is valuable and a tool to help moderators (or those in roles who can flip the answered bit)  find these things and turn them into answers. It also is helpful for OPs to distinguish between generic replies and replies someone has actually proposed as an answer. I don't follow or understand the 'resentment' comment, the fact that 'anyone' can propose seems to contradict a 'pecking-order'. If anything I think it opens the task of attempting to identify value to any user.
    Sunday, July 24, 2011 9:22 PM
    Answerer
  • Actually, the quote with the entire context should read, "Proposing answers is a tool for the general community member to help the few privileged users that happen to be in the answer/moderator roles identify potential answers"  If I'm going to be quoted, I think it's important not leave things out, it gives a false impression in my opinion.

Sunday, July 24, 2011 9:59 PM
    Answerer
  • By the way, proposed answer contribution activity was indeed a bug, it should be fixed on our 8/4 deployment. Thanks for reporting it Naomi.
    Tuesday, July 26, 2011 6:09 PM
    Answerer