none
C Drive Has Filled Up RRS feed

• Question

• My brand-new HP Home Server has a drive C that came set to 20 GB.  Once McAfee Total Protection updated itself and the system downloaded some security updates, the C drive filled up completely and now McAfee can't update and I get warning messages telling me to free up drive C.   There seems to be very little 'fluff' on drive C whose removal won't jeopardize the backup server... what do I do?
    Tuesday, October 19, 2010 10:02 PM

All replies

• My brand-new HP Home Server has a drive C that came set to 20 GB.  Once McAfee Total Protection updated itself and the system downloaded some security updates, the C drive filled up completely and now McAfee can't update and I get warning messages telling me to free up drive C.   There seems to be very little 'fluff' on drive C whose removal won't jeopardize the backup server... what do I do?

Does the McAfee-suite come pre-installed with the HP Server?

If so, maybe HP or McAfee can supply proper solutions (if HP deliver the Server with some kind of support agreement).

One WHS v1 machine in the basement with a mixed setup of harddrives in and outside the storage pool. And now, next to it, a Vail Refresh brother for beta duties.
    Wednesday, October 20, 2010 9:47 AM
  • Most common reason for filling up of system partition is excessive growth of whs log files in C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows Home Server\logs or IIS log files in C:\WINDOWS\system32\LogFiles\W3SVC1. To resolve logon to your home server desktop (remote desktop) and delete all but the most recent logs. When deleting the log files please make sure you also empty the recycle bin or delete the files by pressing Shift Key and Delete keys at the same time (Select files to be deleted, Press and hold Shift Key then hit Delete key whils holding Shift Key).

If the problem is not in the log files you can use  TreeSize free to find the files/folders filling up your C partition.

Best check regularly if the C drive is filling up again. If so you may need to do additonal checks to find and eliminate the root of the problem.

Thursday, October 21, 2010 1:20 PM