Money 2004 - upgrading to WIN8 - worried RRS feed

• Question

• I've looked through suggested 'related topics' and not found anything relating to my question at all.

I have also looked through the forum in general and find myself more confused with what I thought was a simple question.

What I'm worried about is whether I will be able to install my M/S Money 2004 on my new Win8 computer when it's delivered.

I don't use any online features, so looking into this Money Sunset is probably not necessary. Would that be a correct assumption?

I'm in Australia and I'm also savvy enough to know how to do most things on a computer, but not techy enough to understand some of what is being discussed on other threads.

I usually backup my files in Money when I have done a reconciliation or if I've done lots of entries. I simply back up to a USB.

When I upgraded to Win7 I had no problems reinstalling the software and restoring my files.

Is it likely I will be able to do the same with Win8?

Wednesday, January 30, 2013 12:07 AM

All replies

• Thanks DP.

Yes, I sort of got the idea that this Sunset thing was US only but the threads became so convoluted it was confusing. I'll go back and check the leading post - thanks

I have not had to use a password to access anything to do with Money 2004 (I don't use online features). Is there a new feature in Win8 that requires a M/S account for installation of previous/older versions of their software? I have a Hotmail account which I presume I will use when I install Win8 as my Windows account.

I've just upgraded DH to Win8 without probs, but because it was an upgrade he did not have to reinstall any software and everything seems fine.

Wednesday, January 30, 2013 12:41 AM
  • If you have never set a password you will have no problems. There are some who set a password, have it remembered at Money start but forget it and cannot access their Money file when it is transferred to a new system.

Since you are posting in a forum you already have a Microsoft Account.

If you have several systems with Windows 8, logging onto them with a Microsoft Account - you can use a Local Account instead - will synchronise (some) settings across those systems. You will only need a Microsoft Account for subscription services such as forum posting and the new Office 365 rental service.

Any software you own outright can just be installed, subject to any licencing restrictions. It does not have to be registered, but may need to be activated.

Make sure you have an installation medium for a reinstallation of Windows 8, and know the product key. If you upgraded online you can log on to your account with the details in your order confirmation email and download an ISO or create a USB stick.

Wednesday, January 30, 2013 8:20 AM
  • Thanks again DP. Will have installation discs for my new computer. DH Win8 I downloaded from the Net. Have noted in a couple of places the product key. Don't know how to download an ISO or create a USB stick for the O/S. Will have to go look

Use USBs for lots of other things including my Money B/U

Wednesday, January 30, 2013 8:57 AM
  • I now have my new laptop and successfully installed my Money Program. However it would not accept the restore backup function.

I went round and round in circles trying different things. Then I remembered the links mentioned as residing in the first post.

I downloaded this to the new laptop and ran the file, tried the restore backup and Bingo!!!!It's all good.

I have copied the downloaded version of the Money 2005 executable file to a USB. I may burn it to a DVD too just in case. Will this be sufficient to keep me running for the next time if I need to reinstall Money?

Should I be looking for a replacement program as well to future-proof my accounts?

Thanks for your help

Monday, February 11, 2013 10:39 AM
  • As long as you have the installation executable saved somewhere you will always be able to use it to a complete install.
    Monday, February 11, 2013 10:45 AM