Run WMC on WHS in virtual instance? RRS feed

• General discussion

• Like some (maybe most, although not according to HP tech support), I use my WMS as the primary source of storage for all things media in our house.

In currently using my work laptop to act as my media server but it's kind of a pain and had considered a dedicated media server but because I'm frugal, was wondering if it's possible (maybe not technically supported) to run a virtual instance of Windows 7 using vmware or whatever on my media server.  That way I wouldn't have to buy another machine to serve this purpose.

Has anyone played with this idea?  Any success of failure stories folks would like to share?

Many thanks.

• Changed type kariya21Moderator Saturday, March 27, 2010 6:55 PM not a technical question
    Saturday, March 27, 2010 4:40 PM

All replies

• The HP MediaSmart Servers have media servers built in.  Running a virtual machine is not supported on Windows Home Server.  Though you can do it you may not get as good results as you expect.

It kind of depends on what media clients you have as to which add-ins may work best for you. 

--
    Saturday, March 27, 2010 5:00 PM
  • Thanks Al.  I understand there are built in media servers but need a media center to make things work.  I'm streaming out to Xbox 360 and other media extenders hence the need for an actual Media Center machine.
    Saturday, March 27, 2010 5:05 PM
  • I have an Xbox and the built in PV connect and twonky media servers work okay with it as does my PS3 - it should also work with other media extenders, those that support DNLA and UPNP.  Though if you need a Media Center Machine you are best to build a dedicated unit as the peformance will be very much stunted in a VM and more so on a single core low memory host such as a media smart server.

--
    Saturday, March 27, 2010 5:18 PM
  • I've used pvconnect and other things; problem is I need to run the Xbox media center, connecting it to a media center server in order to be able to play backed up DVDs.  The standard Xbox 360 dashboard does not support VOB playback and the only way I've found to do this is to run through media center infrastructure.

Is there a way to add media center functionality to my WHS?  Seems to me it's just a fancy version of windows media player with some additional hooks.

Monday, March 29, 2010 5:58 PM
  • I've used pvconnect and other things; problem is I need to run the Xbox media center, connecting it to a media center server in order to be able to play backed up DVDs.  The standard Xbox 360 dashboard does not support VOB playback and the only way I've found to do this is to run through media center infrastructure.

Is there a way to add media center functionality to my WHS?  Seems to me it's just a fancy version of windows media player with some additional hooks.

The only way to play your ripped DVDs is, as you surmise, through Windows Media Center or other software that can decode them properly and treat them as DVDs rather than collections of files. And no, there's no way to add Windows Media Center to Windows Home Server.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, March 29, 2010 6:23 PM