CRM 2011 Data Import - insufficient permissions RRS feed

• Question

• When trying to import data into a CRM 2011 system i'm getting a message saying;

"The signed in user does not have the appropriate security permissions to view these records or perform this action"

I have narrowed this down to the data import process rather than permissions surrounding the record type that's been imported as the message appears before the record type has been selected.

I can confirm that the user has the following permissions [full/organisational]

• Data Import
    • Data Map
    • Import Source file

I can't think of any more permissions that would be needed to imprt data, if anyone can suggest anything i would be grateful.

Thankk you.

David

Friday, January 6, 2012 11:54 AM

All replies

• Managed to sort this - it turned out to be the Publisher entity that required privileges, i have no idea why but would be interested to know if anyone can advise.

David

• Marked as answer by DavidtMoore Friday, January 6, 2012 2:07 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by Donna EdwardsMVP Friday, February 8, 2013 6:08 PM
    Friday, January 6, 2012 2:07 PM
  • Hi David.  I've set the 4 pieces of permissions to a new custom role, but no dice.  I'm getting an "Insifficient Permissions" when the user tries to click on Import Data>Import Data.  Any help would be appreciated.

Jose Lopez

jose@burgiss.com
    www.burgiss.com

Wednesday, April 18, 2012 4:55 PM
  • It seems Web Wizard, Web Wizard Access Privilege, and Wizard Page are required as well.  I took off Publisher Entity and it worked.

Required permissions:

* Data Import (all)
    * Data Map (all)
    * Import Source File (all)
    * Web Wizard (all)
    * Web Wizard Access Privilege (all)
    * Wizard Page (all)

Wednesday, April 18, 2012 8:27 PM
  • Jose's list is correct. 

Having said that, although setting all privileges to the Org level will work, some organizations will not allow Delete privileges.  For those Organizations where delete privileges are disallowed, you will need to grant delete privilege at the User level for the following two items:

• Data Import - Delete - User level privilege
    • Data Map - Delete - User level privilege

Be sure to check those two settings if the Import is not working as expected and setting Data Import, Data Map, Import Source File, Web Wizard, Web Wizard Access Privilege and Wizard Page with Organizational level privileges.  You might want to set privileges at that user level first and then, using a methodical approach, increase the privileges and only to Org level where needed.

Cheers

Regards, Donna

Friday, February 8, 2013 6:23 PM
  • Please paste your permission error log file here. It could help a lot.

If the answer helped you, remember to mark it as answer.

Saturday, February 9, 2013 7:07 AM
  • * Data Import (all) --------  BU level enough, for delete User level permissions should work
    * Data Map (all) ------------ BU level enough, for delete User level permissions should work
    * Import Source File (all) ----- BU level enough, for delete User level permissions should work
    * Web Wizard (all) ---------- org Level,  only the choice we have
    * Web Wizard Access Privilege (all)--------- org Level,  only the choice we have
    * Wizard Page (all) ------------------------  org Level,  only the choice we have

But i have a question what is the use of Import Job entity--privilege in Customization's tab of security roles. Thanks

Wednesday, February 19, 2014 3:44 PM
  • The delete permissions in Data Import, Import Source File and Data Map work only to delete Source file  from CRM system, not to delete entities after import, If the users not given permissions to delete records. 
    Wednesday, February 19, 2014 3:56 PM
  • Hi, I am using MS CRM 2016 and actually import is working perfectly and I thank you for that.

But how do you restrict imports to certain entities; since CRM's import tool can be used to update records as well.  Eg. I have no problems having users importing data to a specific entity, however I would not allow users to import to Contacts, Companies etc. I could probably do this by restricting Write rights to for instance Contacts, but this would restrict the user on daily basis in the UI. And I don't want that.

Can anyone help?

• Edited by PeterHC Monday, October 17, 2016 12:47 PM
    Monday, October 17, 2016 12:47 PM