Quicken and PST files RRS feed

• Question

• I have developed quite an interest in installing WHS in my home to help manage and share files used on our Desktop PC and my wife's laptop.  I'm interested in the corruption of Quicken and Outlook PST files that I've read about.  One thing that I would very much like to do is be able to share the files of these two programs.  I haven't been able to find a post that indicates whether this issue has ever been resolved. 

Can anyone shed some light on this?

Thanks! 
    BC
    Wednesday, December 17, 2008 9:39 PM

Answers

All replies

• Intuit has said that running Quicken with the data files stored on a network drive (i.e. not local to the software) is unsupported, and will result in data corruption. Microsoft has said that using Outlook with a network-stored PST file is unsupported, and will result in data corruption.

This is not an issue with Windows Home Server in either case. The software doesn't support network storage of it's data files. Period.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Wednesday, December 17, 2008 10:53 PM
  • I've been using Quicken with the data files stored on a server successfully for years -- until we got bitten with the WHS corruption bug last year.   The fix to the WHS corruption bug has seemed to fix the issue with Quicken corruption as well.

A couple of things i've learned from experience:  

- Quicken doesn't like long pathnames (ie //server/user/quicken/quicken files... etc).   On a computer that's going to access Quicken on the server I always map a drive to the Quicken files' location (usually Q for simplicity) so the pathname is short (Q:\qdata... ).

- Access to the Quicken file over wireless is very slow.  I always make sure it's a wired connection.

- We back up the quicken file to every time we use it to a flash drive.   Also, i back up all of our important data every night to Idrive (www.idrive.com).   Quicken has a remote backup service which is interesting too, but i've never tried it.
    Thursday, December 18, 2008 3:19 PM
  • Intuit: Using Quicken on a network or shared drive

This is all "straight from the horse's mouth" as it were. If the publisher of your software says that the software can't be relied on to safely store it's data files on a network share, then you should assume that they are trying to keep you from making a serious (and expensive, in the case of financial records) mistake.

Thursday, December 18, 2008 3:57 PM
  • Actually, it means it is "unsupported".  They don't want to support it.  There can be problems with data corruption (as there is with any network accessed drive, for instance remote device turns off during quicken updating a record) and they simply don't feel they should have to support that.  On the other hand, in a household with multiple users of quicken for the same financial records it only makes sense to somehow try to put your quicken data on a network server or nas drive.  I think quicken is missing a feature they could charge for her.
    Friday, December 19, 2008 12:30 AM
  • This is a direct quote from that Intuit link I posted above (emphasis in red due to my search for "network"):

Quicken is not designed or tested for use on a network or a shared drive. Because of the large variety of possible network configurations, Intuit is not able to offer technical assistance for issues resulting from the use of the Quicken program on a network.

In addition, Intuit recommends that you do not keep your Quicken data files on a network due to the risk of data corruption. Quicken saves the data incrementally as it is entered. For this reason, network instability or the use of a data file by multiple users at the same time can lead to data integrity issues.

I don't think they could be much blunter.

Friday, December 19, 2008 2:13 AM