Question about integration with Cisco CUCM and CUPM, and r2 RRS feed

• Question

• 1. When I don't use the CUPS, but only CUCM with a OCS mediation server, wouldn't I also be able to use cisco hard phones in coexistence with OCS Communicator softphones? (And still be able to make internal softphone <-> hard phone calls)
    2. Looking at the CUPS added value, its basically just a box that allows presence state to be reported to OCS when there's a hard phone to hard phone conversation, + the remote call control feature? So its not really necessary?
    3. I've come to understand that OCS 2007 R2 doesnt require a pbx at all anymore. So all I need is a mediation server, and a ISP that can deliver me a SIP trunk over WAN? Meaning I dont need Cisco. Is this true?
    4. As for hard phones, if I don't use Cisco, I could just simply buy Tanjay phones as shown on
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/bb970310.aspx , which are able to connect directly to OCS, no PBX needed? (Really hope so, this makes things so much cheaper and easier).
    5. I've googled it and r2 will be available at the 3rd of February for download to Microsoft partners. Does anybody know a good Dutch SIP Trunk provider, which I can use for testing purposes? (so no expensive business solution yet, I first need to convince other parties OCS is the way to go :)

Thanks once again!

Thursday, January 29, 2009 10:17 AM

Answers

• 1. Yes, the CUPS role simply adds presence sharing betwqeen Cisco and OCS as well as the ability to use Remote Call Control (RCC).  With OCS+CUCM integration you can place/route VoIP calls between both systems.

2. Correct, not necessary for what you want in item #1

3. Direct SIP Trunking will now be supported in R2 with certain ITSPs (Internet Telephony Service Provider).

4. Also correct, devices running OCS Phone Edition (aka Tanjays) will connect directly to Front-End servers (when internal) or Edge servers (when external) and sign-in just like the OC software client does.

5. Sorry, can't help with this one; you might want to try http://unified-communications.blogspot.com.

Jeff Schertz, PointBridge | MVP | MCITP: Enterprise Messaging | MCTS: OCS
    Thursday, January 29, 2009 2:14 PM

All replies

• 1. Yes, the CUPS role simply adds presence sharing betwqeen Cisco and OCS as well as the ability to use Remote Call Control (RCC).  With OCS+CUCM integration you can place/route VoIP calls between both systems.

2. Correct, not necessary for what you want in item #1

3. Direct SIP Trunking will now be supported in R2 with certain ITSPs (Internet Telephony Service Provider).

4. Also correct, devices running OCS Phone Edition (aka Tanjays) will connect directly to Front-End servers (when internal) or Edge servers (when external) and sign-in just like the OC software client does.

5. Sorry, can't help with this one; you might want to try http://unified-communications.blogspot.com.

Jeff Schertz, PointBridge | MVP | MCITP: Enterprise Messaging | MCTS: OCS
    Thursday, January 29, 2009 2:14 PM
  • Thanks a lot Jeff! This really helps.

Could anyone still think of another reason now to continue using other ip-pbx's? For example, are there still advantages to continue using CUCM?

Friday, January 30, 2009 7:24 PM