chkdsk stalls RRS feed

• Question

• Just after I installed OneCare, the computer wanted a chkdsk scan on boot up. The chkdsk scan stalls after about 94000 files. What to do?? Since it never completes, I keep getting the request to scan prompt at boot up. If I ignore the request, the computer runs fine....................

Monday, February 11, 2008 6:03 PM

Answers

• I think that the only way to solve it would be to try to get chkdsk to complete at startup.

Open Windows Explorer, right click on the C: drive, select properties. On the Tools Tab, under Error Checking, check both items and begin the disk check.

It will probably prompt you to schedule the check at reboot. Accept this and reboot. See if it completes.

If not, you may need to get a diagnostic tool for your drive. You may need to contact your PC maker for this.

-steve

Tuesday, February 12, 2008 12:53 PM

All replies

• Windows apparently set the chkdsk autostartup to occur due to an error condition encountered. It appears that that error condition is causing chkdsk to fail. Note that this isn't specific to OneCare nor is it caused by OneCare.

You can turn off that startup check since it is failing, but it involves editing the registry per the information in this KB article: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/158675/en-us (note that this article is specific to NT, not XP - I couldn't locate the similar instructions for XP immediately on my slow connection this afternoon...)

However, that doesn't resolve why chkdsk is failing to complete. I suspect that there is a problem on the disk that is causing the issue.

-steve

Monday, February 11, 2008 7:48 PM
  • Thanks for the inout. I guess what I am looking for is whether there is any way of finding out what file is causing the grief.

Tuesday, February 12, 2008 2:09 AM
  • I think that the only way to solve it would be to try to get chkdsk to complete at startup.

Open Windows Explorer, right click on the C: drive, select properties. On the Tools Tab, under Error Checking, check both items and begin the disk check.

It will probably prompt you to schedule the check at reboot. Accept this and reboot. See if it completes.

If not, you may need to get a diagnostic tool for your drive. You may need to contact your PC maker for this.

-steve

Tuesday, February 12, 2008 12:53 PM
  • I am encountering the same problem.  My machine was working perfectly until OneCare did a tune up.  The tune up was successful - but now when I boot up the machine it insists on running CheckDisk.  It takes a full hour for CheckDisk to complete all five steps.  But it does complete them all.  This completion has had no effect because checkdisk runs every time I boot up the machine. 

This error makes my machine next to useless!  What kind of businessman can wait around for an hour for their machine to boot up. 

Please - your help will be greatly appreciated.  I'll edit the registry if I have to but anything to stop this problem.

Will uninstalling OneCare help?  On boot up it says "Check Disk is scheduled to run".  Is there anyway to change this schedule.

Thanks,

Wildly Frustrated.
    Friday, February 15, 2008 3:27 PM
  • The only solution I have found so far is the 'Hit Any Key" at the chkdsk prompt as the machine boots up, thus avoiding the scan.

The hardware, incidently is a HP AMD laptop about a month old. I had run through the Norton subsription, so I removed that in favour of OneCare, and I removed the Office 2007 in favour of Office 2007 Enterprise and Office 2003, just for old times sake.

Apart from the scan prompt everything works fine, so I am highly suspicious of that OneCare scan setting up things that trigger on restart. I just don't want to be blindsided at a crucial presentation.......................

I have left my machine for better than an hour and the file count of the scan never changes from 94,024, so I'm guessing it stalls.

Cheers

Friday, February 15, 2008 4:29 PM
  • My machine is also a laptop about a year old and I too recently switched to OneCare.  In fact, the only software I've added to the machine in the last month was OneCare.  To be candid, I've had nothing but problems since.  It is completely unacceptable that I have to watch my machine to stop the CheckDisk function the OneCare imposes.  There has to be away to override this.  I thought Symantec was bulky and invasive - but authoritarian approach OneCare takes is ridiculous.  I too use my machine for presentation - can you imagine the embarassment if I miss that 10 second window to hit another key.

Microsoft - you have to find a solution to this or at the very least let us know how to take control of the OneCare Check Disk schedule.  Short of that we will be forced to uninstall OneCare from all of our machines - I can't tell you how concerned every else is here that OneCare will start doing this to their machines too.  We've already gone around and pushed scheduled tune-ups out for months hoping to at least get an answer from Microsoft in the interim.

Friday, February 15, 2008 8:20 PM
  •  glimpsenirvana wrote:
    My machine is also a laptop about a year old and I too recently switched to OneCare.  In fact, the only software I've added to the machine in the last month was OneCare.  To be candid, I've had nothing but problems since.  It is completely unacceptable that I have to watch my machine to stop the CheckDisk function the OneCare imposes.  There has to be away to override this.  I thought Symantec was bulky and invasive - but authoritarian approach OneCare takes is ridiculous.  I too use my machine for presentation - can you imagine the embarassment if I miss that 10 second window to hit another key.

Microsoft - you have to find a solution to this or at the very least let us know how to take control of the OneCare Check Disk schedule.  Short of that we will be forced to uninstall OneCare from all of our machines - I can't tell you how concerned every else is here that OneCare will start doing this to their machines too.  We've already gone around and pushed scheduled tune-ups out for months hoping to at least get an answer from Microsoft in the interim.

OneCare doesn't manipulate the chkdsk schedule. Something kicked the "dirty bit" and now you are getting the startup chkdsk problem. It may have happened because Defrag ran and failed due to disk errors, hence the association with OneCare Tune-up.

The issue is how to reset the "dirty bit" and stop it from running at each bootup.

Have a look at this thread, particularly message number 20, from 2/10/05.

http://help.lockergnome.com/general/Chkdsk-Volume-Dirty-Help-ftopict30855.html

-steve

Saturday, February 16, 2008 2:59 AM
  • Interestingly, my defrag works just fine....

Wednesday, February 27, 2008 1:38 AM
  • The chkntsf trick worked. Interestingly, it didn't return any values for the 'inquire' part, but I ran the 'unset flag' part anyhow, and my problem vanished. Now, I haven't tried to run chkdsk again, so I have no idea whether it hangs up. I'll save that until I have to.....

It seeme to me that Microsoft might oprovide a better set of utilities than what we have just seen. At least they should return an indicator.

Cheers

Friday, February 29, 2008 9:06 PM
  • Glad to read that you were able to resolve it, Dan.

This "dirty bit" situation is actually a pretty old problem in Windows.

-steve

Saturday, March 1, 2008 1:46 AM
  • Hi Steve,

I found this thread whilst trying to fix a similar problem I am having on a W2K machine.

Long story short, I have the dirty flag set so that the Chkdsk prompt comes up. If I say Yes to chkdsk, it runs sometimes for ages (last one was 30 hours!) and fails causing a re-boot (Unexpected error usually.

If I say No, then I get a STOP message blue screen which goes too quickly to read and causes a re-boot.

At the moment I cannot get into windows to do anything. I have got into the windows recovery console, but cannot reset the chkdsk flag from there as /X is not a valid parameter and do not know what else to do from there.

As back ground to this, we were in the process of getting the data off the hard disk as I think there is an intermittent fault which causes the machine to randomly re-boot. You can often hear a sort of pinging noise as if the power goes off/on very quickly. The last Chkdsk that ran for hours spent lots of time trying to restore orphaned files, which I am positive are files I deleted sometime ago, but cannot as there is insufficient disk space.

I seem to be in a deadly embrace!

Any help would be much appreciated.

Regards

Warwick

New Zealand

Tuesday, September 9, 2008 7:55 AM
  • I'm sorry to say that the "intermittent" fault you describe is likely the reason for the failure and the dirty bit flag. I'm afraid that there is either a failure of the physical disk or perhaps the controller, based on your description.

-steve

Tuesday, September 9, 2008 2:04 PM