Shared Folder Size Limits RRS feed

• Question

• In the Technical Brief for Windows Home Server Drive Extender, it says:

"If Folder Duplication is enabled, a shared folder may be marked as Unhealthy if there is not enough room to store two copies of the shared folder contents on different hard drives. There must be two hard drives with enough space to store the contents of the shared folder."

When file duplication is on, is the maximum size of the shared folders limited by the size of the hard drives? Or if I have 10 1 terabyte HDs, can I create a shared folder "DVDs" with duplication enabled and put 5 terabytes worth of data into it?

And how will my client computers see this drive? Will it show up under "my computer" as having X amount of free space, or can I only get that information from the server console?

Monday, June 8, 2009 9:22 PM

Answers

When file duplication is on, is the maximum size of the shared folders limited by the size of the hard drives? Or if I have 10 1 terabyte HDs, can I create a shared folder "DVDs" with duplication enabled and put 5 terabytes worth of data into it?
    The latter.

Client computers will only see the shares on your server, with the total free space in the storage pool available for use shown as the free space in the share.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Tuesday, June 9, 2009 2:46 AM

All replies

The latter.

Client computers will only see the shares on your server, with the total free space in the storage pool available for use shown as the free space in the share.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Tuesday, June 9, 2009 2:46 AM
  • thanks Ken
    Tuesday, June 9, 2009 12:15 PM