CRM 3.0 - 4.0 Upgrade Issues RRS feed

• Question

•  

I have been having some issues upgrading my CRM 3.0 installation to 4.0.  After a number of tries I got the upgrade to run through to the end without an error message but on completion the setup displayed an Upgrade Failed message referencing the Microsoft.Crm.Setup.Server.WorkflowUpgradeAction action.  From what I can tell this just means that some of my workflows did not upgrade (expected as some were using custom assemblies).  Can I safely ignore this and assume that I have a fully functional CRM installation?  I understand that I will have to re-create the failed work flows, but so far everything appears to be working properly.  Log entries below:

06:13:47|   Info| Microsoft Dynamics CRM Server upgrade Failed.
    06:13:47|   Info| Microsoft Dynamics CRM Server Setup did not complete successfully.

Action Microsoft.Crm.Setup.Server.WorkflowUpgradeAction failed.
    There were errors during workflow upgrade

Also, I figured I would post the issues and solutions I had with the upgrade to possibly save others some frustration.

Unfortunately I do not have the exact error for this one, but during the first attempt to upgarde I got an error message regarding the action to drop the ftcat_documentindex catalog..  again this is not an exact error.  Selecting retry made that error go away but now recieved a new error:  "There is already an object named 'AttributeTypes' in the database"

After a bit of digging into similar errors on other forums (http://blog.kazmarek.com/2008/03/11/full-text-index-inconsistency-when-upgrading-to-crm-40/) I determined that the first error was the real culprit.  As the catalog was not able to be dropped the upgrade action failed when it tried to recreate it as it already existed.  The cause turned out to be taht two other tables had Full-Text indexing enabled using this catalog.  Using the process described in the link above I identified the other tables that had full text indexing enabled and deleted the full text index on them.

The other issue that I had was that my installation appeared to stall out on the upgrade workflow action.  Checking the install log revealed that it was indeed progressing and was just taking a long time to complete this step.  After 9 hours of this step running, I finally started digging and realized that the worflow upgrade action was attempting to upgrade ALL workflow instances that had EVER been run on the server, not just active processes.  Of course the fact that CRM saved all of the workflow processinstances was new info to me.  I realized that we had over 2 million process instances and that setup was determined to upgrade them all.  The kicker:  After 14 hours of processing it completed only 100,000 of those.

The resolution was to roll back the install (return the server to a previous snapshot and restore the SQL databases (MSCRM and METABASE).  Then found these two documents to purge the wfprocessinstance table of most of the 2 million + entries.

http://www.microsoftcrmhouston.com/Microsoft_CRM_3.0_Workflow_Clean_Up_Routine.htm

http://blogs.msdn.com/crm/archive/2006/10/24/purging-old-instances-of-workflow-in-microsoft-crm.aspx

Not to forget why I am here...  so can I safely ignore the workflow upgrade failed error or do I need to roll back, delete the offending workflows, and reaccomplish the installation?

Sunday, June 22, 2008 4:33 PM

Answers

• Thanks for your response.  However, embarassingly enough a colleague just pointed out that the CRM installation guide specifically references errors during the workflow portion of the upgrade and that under most circumstances (assuming no other errors) even though the upgrade has a failed status the installation was completed properly.

Monday, June 23, 2008 5:22 AM

All replies

• Not sure how to answer you but I think you can ignore the error. Question - did you stop the workflow service before you ran each upgrade? If not, that might have been part of your problem.

Monday, June 23, 2008 4:40 AM
  • Thanks for your response.  However, embarassingly enough a colleague just pointed out that the CRM installation guide specifically references errors during the workflow portion of the upgrade and that under most circumstances (assuming no other errors) even though the upgrade has a failed status the installation was completed properly.

Monday, June 23, 2008 5:22 AM
  • Great.

Monday, June 23, 2008 4:03 PM