Key not valid for use in region validation error RRS feed

• Question

• I am currently running XP Professional and received the geographical error when I was in the UK for a couple months.  I contacted Microsoft who told me that the error was due to me being in the UK since the key is for the US and that I should re-validate the software when I return and it should be fine. 

When I returned I tried to re-validate the software, but am getting the same error.  I have read some of the other posts related to this issue and have ran through the boiler plate MS response.  The diagnostic tool says everything is running fine.  I also put the results below and realize that I am running a volume license, which seems to be the root of all evil according to MS, which makes no sense to me since that is how it is installed on the computer by the manufactures.  The problem is this is a laptop and the damn license rubbed off from the bottom of it.  I guess I am trying to ask if there is a way to validate windows without re-installing windows and not installing the validate tools or purchasing another copy.  I know, according to the license, you are allowed to install a copy on your computer and a second copy on a laptop, without violation.  Using the key update tool, I tried using my desktop license, also for Windows XP Pro, and it gave me an error that it was not compatible for my system.  This does not make sense to me since its the same OS.  Any thoughts/work arounds would be appreciated.

If MS decides to respond, please do not put the boiler plate response, since I have already done that.  A custom answer to my question would be much obliged.

Diagnostic Report (1.9.0011.0):
    -----------------------------------------
    WGA Data-->
    Validation Status: Geographically blocked PID
    Validation Code: 13

Cached Validation Code: N/A
    Windows Product Key: *****-*****-92Y7F-M7KDW-TPCRY
    Windows Product Key Hash: BWGplrgOgIPwwgn2MczRmTKlNVA=
    Windows Product ID: 55274-640-0134841-23229
    Windows Product ID Type: 1
    Windows License Type: Volume
    Windows OS version: 5.1.2600.2.00010100.3.0.pro
    ID: {261A4AF3-A4B6-438C-BB9D-975AA3D12C5D}(3)
    Is Admin: Yes
    TestCab: 0x0
    WGA Version: Registered, 1.9.40.0
    Signed By: Microsoft
    Product Name: N/A
    Architecture: N/A
    Build lab: N/A
    TTS Error: N/A
    Validation Diagnostic: 025D1FF3-230-1
    Resolution Status: N/A

WgaER Data-->
    ThreatID(s): N/A
    Version: N/A

WGA Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: 13
    File Exists: Yes
    Version: 1.9.40.0
    WgaTray.exe Signed By: Microsoft
    WgaLogon.dll Signed By: Microsoft

OGA Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    Version: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    OGAExec.exe Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    OGAAddin.dll Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002

OGA Data-->
    Office Status: 100 Genuine
    Microsoft Office Enterprise 2007 - 100 Genuine
    OGA Version: N/A, 0x80070002
    Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    Office Diagnostics: 025D1FF3-230-1_E2AD56EA-765-d003_E2AD56EA-766-0_E2AD56EA-134-80004005

Browser Data-->
    Proxy settings: N/A
    User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Win32)
    Default Browser: C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe
    Download signed ActiveX controls: Prompt
    Download unsigned ActiveX controls: Disabled
    Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins: Allowed
    Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe: Disabled
    Allow scripting of Internet Explorer Webbrowser control: Disabled
    Active scripting: Allowed
    Script ActiveX controls marked as safe for scripting: Allowed

File Scan Data-->

Licensing Data-->
    N/A

HWID Data-->
    N/A

OEM Activation 1.0 Data-->
    BIOS string matches: yes
    Marker string from BIOS: 13763:MPC Computers|1E710:Samsung Electronics CO., LTD
    Marker string from OEMBIOS.DAT: N/A, hr = 0x80004005

OEM Activation 2.0 Data-->
    N/A

• Edited by johhniea Sunday, August 16, 2009 12:44 AM
    Saturday, August 15, 2009 11:43 PM

Answers

• Hello johhniea,

Unless your use of the Volume Licensing editions of Windows and Office on your computer is associated with an organization that is using those licenses in accordance with a current and valid Volume Licensing Agreement, regardless if what is reported by the mgadiag utility, your use of these licenses would be nongenuine.
    For great advice on all topics XP, visit http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp
    Monday, August 17, 2009 2:42 PM

All replies

• I have fixed the problem.  Apparently there might be a work around for individuals with a volume license.  There was a white paper put out by MS regarding this.  It said to delete the data.dat file in C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Windows Genuine Advantage\data folder. After it is deleted, rerun the validation process.  Worked for me like a charm.
    Sunday, August 16, 2009 4:40 AM
  • Hello johhniea,

Unless your use of the Volume Licensing editions of Windows and Office on your computer is associated with an organization that is using those licenses in accordance with a current and valid Volume Licensing Agreement, regardless if what is reported by the mgadiag utility, your use of these licenses would be nongenuine.
    For great advice on all topics XP, visit http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp
    Monday, August 17, 2009 2:42 PM