none
How should I change an IP address given to a Home Server site? RRS feed

• Question

• My company name is Dragon Computers.

So, I have the .Net mail address: dragoncomputers@hotmail.com

In the Remote Access Wizard of Home Server I gave once this address to have the related "site":
    "dragoncomputers.homeserver.com"

The "site" was linked with the IP address 85.73.124.42 as you can verify using the nslookup utility.

But, as I have not a static IP address to my Inyernet Connection, this time my connection has a new IP address assigned, the 79.166.54.95.
    And I want to change/ cansel the other IP address of 85.73.124.42 and, then, rerun the wizard!!!

How should I do this change?

Antonis Dragonas
    Wednesday, December 17, 2008 10:06 AM

Answers

• Hi Antonis,
    homeserver.com is a dynamic DNS service, so your IP address gets automatically adjusted and properly resolved, as long as Remote Access is properly configured on your server. In rare cases you will need to unconfigure/reconfigure the site on the Remote Access section under Settings in the WHS console using your Live ID under which you registered your homeserver.com domain to get the registration working again. Sometimes these services may be down and not properly update (as just now).

For such outages it may be recommendable to register an additional DYNDNS account (i.e. at dyndns.org) and configure that account in your router (if the router supports this). So if you cannot access your WHS via homeserver.com, there is still a second chance, which may be helpfull in some situations.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Wednesday, December 17, 2008 10:23 AM

All replies

• Hi Antonis,
    homeserver.com is a dynamic DNS service, so your IP address gets automatically adjusted and properly resolved, as long as Remote Access is properly configured on your server. In rare cases you will need to unconfigure/reconfigure the site on the Remote Access section under Settings in the WHS console using your Live ID under which you registered your homeserver.com domain to get the registration working again. Sometimes these services may be down and not properly update (as just now).

For such outages it may be recommendable to register an additional DYNDNS account (i.e. at dyndns.org) and configure that account in your router (if the router supports this). So if you cannot access your WHS via homeserver.com, there is still a second chance, which may be helpfull in some situations.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Wednesday, December 17, 2008 10:23 AM
  • Olaf,

I had to reinstall my WHS.  When trying to configure the domain name, it prompts me for my live credentials.  I can't remember the credentials I used when I created "mydomain.homeserver.com" domain name.  If I use my current live credentials and the same domain name, it says that the domain is already taken.  How do I change the link from my old credentials to my new credentials without using a different domain name?

Thanks,

Jim
    Thursday, October 22, 2009 1:22 PM
  • Olaf,

I had to reinstall my WHS.  When trying to configure the domain name, it prompts me for my live credentials.  I can't remember the credentials I used when I created "mydomain.homeserver.com" domain name.  If I use my current live credentials and the same domain name, it says that the domain is already taken.  How do I change the link from my old credentials to my new credentials without using a different domain name?

Thanks,

Jim
    Without the old credentials, you can't access the old vanity URL until it's released by Windows Live Domains from lack of use, which is likely to be several months at least.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Thursday, October 22, 2009 2:51 PM