none
How to change my login here RRS feed

• Question

• My login here is an old e-mail address, which has not been valid for over two years.  I have changed the e-mail address in my profile, but this only changes the e-mail address used for notifications, not the e-mail address with which I login to microsoft.com.  How can I change my login e-mail address, while keeping my current alias (display name)?
    Saturday, December 8, 2012 2:35 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi rsbrux !

You can change the email id associated with your TechNet / MSDN profile by performing the steps mentioned in following wiki article;

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/4806.how-to-request-your-email-or-live-id-changed-on-an-msdn-or-technet-profile.aspx

Note : You can not merge 2 accounts but you can still swap between 2 accounts.

Please let me know if this doesn’t work for you. Hope I have answered you correctly.

Thanks, Hasham Niaz

Saturday, December 8, 2012 3:03 PM
  • Although the link you list above suggests to post a request on the wiki feedback page, I accidentally found a settings page when trying to open your link in a new tab.  The setting included my obsolete e-mail, so I have tried changing it there.  It reported successfully changing my profile; I will report back whether or not my login is changed accordingly.

It still seems illogical to me that an e-mail address is used as the login, instead of the user ID.  Can you explain the logic behind this?

Sunday, December 16, 2012 10:45 PM
  • Although the link you list above suggests to post a request on the wiki feedback page, I accidentally found a settings page when trying to open your link in a new tab.  The setting included my obsolete e-mail, so I have tried changing it there.  It reported successfully changing my profile; I will report back whether or not my login is changed accordingly.

It still seems illogical to me that an e-mail address is used as the login, instead of the user ID.  Can you explain the logic behind this?

It's the site feedback page with a specific URL that the Profile team asked us to send you too. The Wiki feedback page looks the same, but it has a different URL and is processed differently.

The settings will control where you receive your alerts, but it doesn't change your Live ID.

The logic was that other sites force you to create an email with them as your login ID. Microsoft instead let you use any email you wanted. That's called the Live ID.

Ed Price (a.k.a User Ed), SQL Server Customer Program Manager (Blog, Twitter, Wiki)

Wednesday, December 19, 2012 5:07 AM
    Owner
  • Hi Ed,

Thanks for your response.  None of the other technical fora I use require me to create a new e-mail address.  In general they require me to create a user account, with a user ID which I can then associate with any e-mail address I choose.  Even if there is no way around using an e-mail address to login, it is illogical and confusing to have different e-mail addresses for login and for notification.  IMHO there is no point in making the user's login ID look like an e-mail address, when:

1. It isn't actually used as an e-mail address.
    2. It isn't the ID by which the user (or his/her contributions) is actually known/identified in the fora.

It also leaves MS open to situations like mine, where the login address is no longer valid.  I had already (successfully) changed my e-mail notification address for this forum (and received notifications at the new address), so I was surprised to find my login e-mail address on the a settings page mentioned above.  However, as you indicate above, changing it there had no effect on my login, so I have now submitted my change request via the wiki feedback page.

Thursday, December 20, 2012 11:53 AM