Backing up to external HD RRS feed

• Question

• I have had a USB 2 external hard drive of 40 GB for about a year.  It is a generic brand but works well.  However, it is formatted (from the mfr) in FAT32, and the OneCare (OC) Backup feature insists on NTFS.  OC tried to reformat the drive to NTFS and failed.  I also tried to reformat the unit (after installing OC) with Partition Manager - and it didn't work ("the drive is in use.").  

I think the OC customer (like me) should be able to choose the formatting and that OC should not insist on NTFS.

Saturday, July 14, 2007 12:08 PM

Answers

• You can format the drive from within Windows. Open Control Panel>Administartive Tools>Computer Management>Disc Management. Right click on the external drive, select format, select NTFS.
    Saturday, July 14, 2007 1:09 PM

All replies

• You can format the drive from within Windows. Open Control Panel>Administartive Tools>Computer Management>Disc Management. Right click on the external drive, select format, select NTFS.
    Saturday, July 14, 2007 1:09 PM
  • That worked.  Thank you.  I don't understand why I couldn't do that from within either OC or from within Partition Manager 8.  So now I am backing things up and all is well.

I would add that I think the disk file formatting style should still be in the hands of the end user - whether the user's choice would have been FAT32 or NTFS.

Again, I appreciate your answer and I thank you for it.

Saturday, July 14, 2007 8:27 PM
  • Onecare won't format to NTFS, instead it tries to convert to NTFS keeping all the data as is.

Just thought let you know.

Tuesday, July 17, 2007 6:39 AM
  • OneCare recommends NTFS is as it provides much better security for protecting files from unauthorized access.
    Tuesday, July 17, 2007 6:41 AM