Installed 940105 hotfix/IE WGA plugin, now WGA reports "Windows is not Genuine" on reboot RRS feed

• Question

• I'm using Vista Ultimate (32 bit) on a Toshiba Satelite X205 notebook.  (Radeon 9700 graphics)

I installed the 940105 hotfix -- installing that required me to install the IE WGA plugin.  (So I'm not sure which caused the next issue.)  

I rebooted and logged in -- a window appears with the title "Windows must be reinstalled to activate."   The Window text is "Insert the Windows installation DVD or CD into your computer to begin the reinstallation process."  There is only one button available -- "Close" -- which brings me back to the account login screen.

I can login under Safe Mode without networking, but cannot validate Windows there.  Windows directs me to login in Normal mode to activate.

(I removed the 940105 update while logged in under safe mode, but that didn't make any difference.)

Anything that I can try?    The only discs I have available are a system-restore CD from Toshiba.
    Sunday, October 21, 2007 3:53 PM

Answers

• Hello Russ,

I am unable to find any information on this type of issue (even searching the internet brings up no similar issues with Vista. My suggestion would be to contact Vista Support at http://support.microsoft.com

Thank you,
    Darin Smith
    WGA Forum Manager

Wednesday, October 24, 2007 7:27 PM
  • Hello Muddle,

Please try logging into Safe Mode and Repair Windows using the System Restore:

1) Reboot Vista into Safe Mode

2) Go to Control Panel

3) On the left hand side of the Control Panel window, Click on "Classic View"

4) Double-click "Backup and Restore Center"

5) On the left hand side of the window, click "Repair Windows using system restore"

6) Select "Choose Different Restore Point", Put a check in the box that says "Show restore points older than 5 days", select the restore point that corresponds to the date Before you first noticed the issue.

7) Click the "Next" button.

8) Reboot back into Normal mode

9) Vista should no longer be in Reduced Functionality mode

If that does not help, I recommend creating a (no cost) service request at  http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52029 for additional assistance.

Thank you,

Darin Smith

WGA Forum Manager

Thursday, July 17, 2008 9:48 PM

All replies

• Hello Russ,

I am unable to find any information on this type of issue (even searching the internet brings up no similar issues with Vista. My suggestion would be to contact Vista Support at http://support.microsoft.com

Thank you,
    Darin Smith
    WGA Forum Manager

Wednesday, October 24, 2007 7:27 PM
  • Maybe you can't find posts regarding this issue because affected Vista users can't get online!  My machine locked up tonight precisely as RussWilliston described.  I'm using my girlfriend's Vista machine to post this (and hopefully find an answer besides following my wasted night with a would-rather-call-psychic-Cleo phone call tomorrow); but I won't be surprised if hers locks up like mine after a fateful reboot in coming days.  ...simply ridiculous, Microsoft.
    Wednesday, October 31, 2007 6:34 AM
  • Hi,

I also have this problem - there is absolutly no option to (re)activate the product (Windows Vista Premium) - only a 'close' button which brings you back to the log-in screen.

the only option is to 'reinstall' - which means potentially loosing all personal files...great.

Im amazed there is no information about this issue.
    Sunday, July 13, 2008 11:08 PM
  • Hello Muddle,

Please try logging into Safe Mode and Repair Windows using the System Restore:

1) Reboot Vista into Safe Mode

2) Go to Control Panel

3) On the left hand side of the Control Panel window, Click on "Classic View"

4) Double-click "Backup and Restore Center"

5) On the left hand side of the window, click "Repair Windows using system restore"

6) Select "Choose Different Restore Point", Put a check in the box that says "Show restore points older than 5 days", select the restore point that corresponds to the date Before you first noticed the issue.

7) Click the "Next" button.

8) Reboot back into Normal mode

9) Vista should no longer be in Reduced Functionality mode

If that does not help, I recommend creating a (no cost) service request at  http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52029 for additional assistance.

Thank you,

Darin Smith

WGA Forum Manager

Thursday, July 17, 2008 9:48 PM