SQL CE DB size grows with Sync RRS feed

• Question

•  

Hi

I am using sync services for ado.net to sync about 20 tables between a back end sql server 2005 db and a ce db. My problem is that every time I sync, my ce db size grows by about 10MB even when there are no changes to download or upload. After a few times, once the db reaches about 180 MB in size, it crashes with a memory exception.

Note: this only happens when the it is deployed on another server and never when I run it from VS.

What could be the reason for this? Is it downloading unnecessary metadata every time and how do I change this?

Thanks!

• Moved by Max Wang_1983 Friday, April 22, 2011 5:05 PM forum consolidation (From:SyncFx - Microsoft Sync Framework Database Providers [ReadOnly])
    Tuesday, September 16, 2008 3:31 PM

All replies

• Hi,

What mode are you using sync services in Hub-spoke or peer to peer? Hub-Spoke doesnt add any new metadata and just updates the sent/received anchors on each sync. Peer to peer does deal with the sync framework metadata and so your knowledge might be updated with each sync.

Can you also clarify your statement "Note: this only happens when the it is deployed on another server and never when I run it from VS."? how do you access the db when its "deployed" vs run within VS? Also what is the difference between VS and "deployed" solution?

Wednesday, September 17, 2008 5:09 PM
  • Thanks for the reply. Im using hub-spoke mode.

By the note, I mean that if I run the solution in dev environment with VS2008, I have no problems. But once I move it to another server which does have .net 3.5 on it, but no VS, and run the executable, I face this problem. In my opinion, there should be no difference in behaviour on my system vs another since I am making sure to move the dlls and reference them.

But there is a difference, and I am trying to find out why.

Any help is appreciated!

Thursday, September 18, 2008 3:48 PM