2011 Rc Connector Install Fails & Streaming-Less Site RRS feed

• Question

• Good evening/ morning all!

Using a small-ish desktop with single 1tb internal disk and have a 2tb external for server backup. 4gb ram.

• Got the RC installed with no issues at all
    • Created two users
    • configured router and remote access with no issues
    • tested web site is up - all good so far
    • put some small amounts of data in the pictures, video and music shares directly using file explorer

Now first i tried to install the connector software to 3 different machines (netbook, laptop, desktop - all win 7 ult) with the same error..

"cannot connect the computer to the server because either another software installation is in progress or the computer has a restart pending.." I remote desktop'ed into the WHserver and when i clicked on start, i saw the option for "install updates and shutdown" eureka i thought. After a full shutdown and cold boot, same issue persists :-(

forced a windows/microsoft update and installed anything that appeared and restarted. Still same result.

to move on from that i figured i'd test the remote access of the data i copied to the server. Hit the site, logged in successfully. when i browse the shares i see the folders. when i access the streaming version of them via the "Media" pull down in the main bar, show 0 files and folders. Anyone ever seen that one before?

Chad Solarz Sr. Tech Instructor Directions Training MCSA / MCSE / MCDST / MCT MCTS: Vista / exch 2k7 & 2010 / server 2k8 / forefront / MDOP / Win 7 MCITP: Vista / server 2k8 / Exchange 2k7 & 2010 Twitter - @csolarz FB - Http://www.facebook.com/csolarz linkedin - http://www.linkedin.com/in/chadsolarz
    Friday, February 4, 2011 11:23 PM

All replies

• Hi Chad,

Would you be able to file a connect bug on this issue and include any logs that were generated?

The link to the feedback form is below:

https://connect.microsoft.com/WindowsHomeServer/feedback/CreateFeedbackForm.aspx?FeedbackFormConfigurationID=4229&FeedbackType=1

A link to how to collect logs is below:

https://connect.microsoft.com/WindowsHomeServer/Downloads/DownloadDetails.aspx?DownloadID=30652

Thanks!

This post is "AS IS" and confers no rights. Jonas Svensson [MSFT] Windows Home Server Community Program Manager
    Windows Home Server Team Blog
    Connect Windows Home Server
    Windows Home Server
    Friday, February 4, 2011 11:29 PM
  • I got that error on my desktop computer this morning.
    Had to uninstall the old Connector software (thought I did last night, but
    it wasn't), and reboot the computer.
    After that, it was able to install correctly.
      --
    Dave N.
    MS-MVP (Mail)
    Windows 7 Ultimate 64
    "Chad Solarz [MVP]" wrote in message
    news:def98fd4-9a60-41cc-9e5a-8c1670268741@communitybridge.codeplex.com...

Good evening/ morning all!

Using a small-ish desktop with single 1tb internal disk and have a 2tb
    external for server backup. 4gb ram.

Got the RC installed with no issues at all
    Created two users
    configured router and remote access with no issues
    tested web site is up - all good so far
    put some small amounts of data in the pictures, video and music shares
    directly using file explorer

Now first i tried to install the connector software to 3 different machines
    (netbook, laptop, desktop - all win 7 ult) with the same error..

"cannot connect the computer to the server because either another software
    installation is in progress or the computer has a restart pending.." I
    remote desktop'ed into the WHserver and when i clicked on start, i saw the
    option for "install updates and shutdown" eureka i thought. After a full
    shutdown and cold boot, same issue persists :-(

forced a windows/microsoft update and installed anything that appeared and
    restarted. Still same result.

to move on from that i figured i'd test the remote access of the data i
    copied to the server. Hit the site, logged in successfully. when i browse
    the shares i see the folders. when i access the streaming version of them
    via the "Media" pull down in the main bar, show 0 files and folders. Anyone
    ever seen that one before?

Chad Solarz Sr. Tech Instructor Directions Training MCSA / MCSE / MCDST /
    MCT MCTS: Vista / exch 2k7 & 2010 / server 2k8 / forefront / MDOP / Win 7
    MCITP: Vista / server 2k8 / Exchange 2k7 & 2010 Twitter - @csolarz FB -

Windows 7 32bit beta
    Saturday, February 5, 2011 12:29 AM
  • Dave,

A second reboot of my clients seem to have resolved the connector install issue. Thanks! sometimes you just stare at things too long and miss the simple "given" kind of steps.

Still trying to determine why when on the site, nothing appears in media as streamable, but when i go through shares i see content. Now i connected an external drive with all my media and was copying it directly to the folders. Wondering if i should have uploaded / moved the files another way. Testing uploading a bunch of MP3's now via the browser to see if they populate and become streamable. And even if i upload the content through the site it shows no songs, no artists..

Chad Solarz Sr. Tech Instructor Directions Training MCSA / MCSE / MCDST / MCT MCTS: Vista / exch 2k7 & 2010 / server 2k8 / forefront / MDOP / Win 7 MCITP: Vista / server 2k8 / Exchange 2k7 & 2010 Twitter - @csolarz FB - Http://www.facebook.com/csolarz linkedin - http://www.linkedin.com/in/chadsolarz
    Saturday, February 5, 2011 2:59 AM