none
how do i restore a visual studio app to a pre-updated state?

Question

• how do I restore a visual studio app to a point before I updated it? My code is incompatible with those updates. They were various Nuget updates, I don't remember what they were.

John 

John R. Murphy

Saturday, October 27, 2018 2:41 AM

Answers

• Right. I have some reading up to do on that with those links you have included; so that I can have a backup in case of failure.

John

John R. Murphy

• Marked as answer by jmurphy3510 Wednesday, October 31, 2018 11:00 PM
    Wednesday, October 31, 2018 11:00 PM

All replies

• Hi John,

As far as I know, it doesn't have this feature in VS unless you use certain version control tools.

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/22004496/visual-studio-project-restore-old-version

Best Regards,

Jack

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Monday, October 29, 2018 2:31 AM
  • I tried: "Also, you may have previous versions/restore points saved for you in Windows. In windows explorer, right click on the folder where your work is being saved and select properties. They may be a 'previous versions' tab, and inside there you may be able to revert to an earlier version. If so: lucky lucky you." from that trace but unfortunately I have no previous versions there.

Wouldn't an even more basic possible fix that goes along the same lines as the fix suggested in that trace (that is to grab a saved previous version from source control) be to grab a saved previous version on the local development computer?

John R. Murphy

Tuesday, October 30, 2018 4:05 AM
  • Hi Jone,

Thanks for your friendly response.

If you use the version control tools like TFS or Azure DevOps(VSTS), the projects were checked in your servers repro, not in your local machine. So you could get the version you want to get from the servers.

But you really take a backup for your collection firstly:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/tfs/server/admin/manage-team-project-collections

Or you want to restore the whole database:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/tfs/server/admin/backup/restore-data-same-location?view=vsts

Best Regards,

Jack

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, October 31, 2018 8:33 AM
  • Right. I have some reading up to do on that with those links you have included; so that I can have a backup in case of failure.

John

John R. Murphy

• Marked as answer by jmurphy3510 Wednesday, October 31, 2018 11:00 PM
    Wednesday, October 31, 2018 11:00 PM