Where Are My Files? RRS feed

• Question

• I am using SyncToy 2.1

I am trying to perform a backup of my file server files to a regular PC hard drive.

When I set the task to run last night, the only thing on my PC today is the SyncFile .dat file which looks like this:

SyncToy_83c410a7_fba4_4603_b48a_e7c2d70903d0.dat

I was expecting a copy of the file server files to be on the PC.

My purpose of using SyncToy was to have a copy of my file server files as a backup in case my file server crashed.

So how am I supposed to get to my files if all I have is a .dat file sitting there? Is this some sort of compressed file that requires additional software to open so that you can get to your actual files that it backed up?

I was expecting synctoy to make a full copy of everything on the server and then on future backups, by using the contribute feature, it would update existing files with the new changes. And then if I needed to access a file that might've been deleted from the server by accident, the PC backup location would have a good copy.

Am I just not understanding what synctoy is capable of doing?

What am I doing wrong?

Tuesday, August 10, 2010 12:00 PM

All replies

• Hi - You are right about what it is expected to do. Take a look at the SyncToy log to get more information about the sync that was performed.

Thanks
    Deepa

Deepa ( Microsoft Sync Framework)
    Tuesday, August 10, 2010 5:31 PM