After installing CWA Address Book Server stops synchronizing

Question

• Hi,

I've deployed OCS 2007 R2 with consolidated configuration on a Win2k8 server. Everything works fine, but after installing CWA on the same machine, communicator client  starts to prompt with "Address Book Synchronization Error".
    I've understood that's probably is a conflict with the new CWA web site and that isn't a recommended scenario, but even using different ports for CWA if I start ABS Website, CWA stops working.
    Any ideas would be helpful.

Davide
    Tuesday, April 14, 2009 8:26 AM

All replies

• Davide,

You are correct in that not only is the collocation of CWA and any other server roles in R2 not recommended, it's not supported and doesn't even work when installed on a Front-End server.  The Address Book file are downloaded to clients via the Web Components role which is an IIS site (typically) on the Front-End server.  Installing CWA on the same server will break the Web Components functionality; it's not a listening-port issue but an IIS-related conflict.

You'll need to remove CWA and put it on a separate host.
    Jeff Schertz, PointBridge | MVP | MCITP: Enterprise Messaging | MCTS: OCS
    Tuesday, April 14, 2009 1:37 PM
  • Actually the documentation specifically states that the CWA server can be co-located on any of the server roles apart from CWA(obviously, Mediation and Edge roles. Its only when installing CWA on W2k8 that you sometimes see this behaviour. I am yet to find a resolution. see pg 64 of the R2 Reskit .. its confirmed their also.
    Monday, May 11, 2009 6:48 AM
  • The official documentation clearly states that CWA is NOT supported collocated on any OCS Server roles.  This is regardless of using Windows Server 2003 or 2008.

See this thread for a previous discussion on the topic as there was a blog that mistakingly contradicted this requirement but has since been fixed:
    http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/communicationsserversetup/thread/f0b79618-ed3c-4028-929e-311e59996afa/

Jeff Schertz, PointBridge | MVP | MCITP: Enterprise Messaging | MCTS: OCS
    Monday, May 11, 2009 12:12 PM
  • Confusion probably comes from the R2 Beta documentation - http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc816173.aspx.  Looks like it was going to be, but failed to make the final cut.
    Friday, June 05, 2009 12:20 AM