none
Microsoft Security Essensials issues.... Updated Windows Defender

Question

• Hello and I am running Windows 7 Pro on my laptop and when I purchased it in 2012. I activated Windows Defender but with the release of IE-10 Microsoft Security Essentials came out and was said to be as good or better. Not having them both running I have ONLY been using MSE. I have had issues with it over the last two months not completing a full scan only the quick scan will finish. By only running the quick scans after two week I get a warning saying to update MSE and a full scan is needed and my system is at risk. If I do a complete un-install from Programs & Features and then re-install it. I can only do a full scan the initial time and then it is a repeat of it failing to full scan my system and posting the risk warning.   

So I just un-installed it and re-activated Windows Defender. I updated itself and on completion of a full scan said my system is fine and protected. But now from the Action Center it is saying I need to fine a anti-virus program on line. Though just below it shows Windows Defender is on and actively protecting my computer. My question is do I need MacAfee or Norton if Defender is protecting against Malware. As this is, if not misleading by Microsoft it is sending conflicting messages to its users. I have enclosed two screen shots showing the Microsoft article of the Defender info and of my Action Center page. It says Defender is a complete package and freely provided by Microsoft and why do they say purchase a anti-virus program as MSE in turned off.  Am I protected and is it OK to turn off the message. Also to note I am writing this on my desktop with the same Windows 7 Pro OS and I have no issues on it running MSE as I have it set to run a complete ~ Full scan every Monday at 6:00 AM. I did it just fine but my laptop failed to complete it..??? I am using this because in the screen shot I have a red warning included with the Action Center icon in the task bar. To hover on it says" Solve PC issue: 1 important message, being: Find an anti-virus program online.????? Please some clarification as to if Defender is a complete program and to just disregard the warning message, Thank you in advance...Peace.....

Mr. William Rutkowski

• Edited by budski82 Tuesday, September 22, 2015 10:01 PM
    Tuesday, September 22, 2015 9:45 PM

Answers

• They'll help you with both of those over here.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.

• Proposed as answer by Mike Laughlin Tuesday, September 22, 2015 10:42 PM
    • Marked as answer by budski82 Wednesday, September 23, 2015 12:02 AM
    Tuesday, September 22, 2015 10:15 PM