Bought boxed version to renew, after installing says I still need to renew RRS feed

• Question

• My 1st year subscription had expired, so I bought the boxed retail version, because I like having the CD. After uninstalling, installing the nex boxed version, and completing setup, it tells me my subscription has expired and I need to renew. Anyone know how to get it to recognize the fact that I just paid for another year?

Thanks.

Sunday, January 6, 2008 3:47 AM

Answers

• I found my answer in some other posts. I didn't uninstall and my subscription had not yet expired. Also I know my Live ID and password. Basically, you follow the steps to renew your subscription on line as though you were going to spend $50 to renew with a credit card. But when you get to the screen that says "If you have a prepaid card, click here to enter the PIN", go there and enter the product key from inside the OneCare box you bought at the store. Here's the steps I followed:

1. Goto http://billing.microsoft.com and log in with your Live ID and password.

2. This took me to a "Billing Account Overview" page and Windows Live OneCare was listed in the "Services" section.

3. I clicked the Windows Live OneCare Link and then a on the next page, a "Renew" link

4. This took me to a "Plan Description" page which had the statement "If you have a prepaid card, click here to enter PIN. Otherwise click Next". I clicked "here"

5. The next screen was "Enter PIN" and had options for 12 or 25 character pins. The 25 option was already checked and that's where I entered the Product Key.

6. The next page said "Sign Agreements and Buy". Where the credit card info would normally be shown, it had the last 4-digits of my product key shown. I printed the page and clicked "done".

7. My OneCare client still says it will expire at the same time (2/19/2007) as it did before, but when I went back into my Live account, I saw that it now has two product keys, the one I just entered and the one I used last year. The second one is not supposed to start until the first one expires. Other posts say it takes about 24 hours for OneCare to "notice" that it has been renewed.

The real test will be after 2/19/2007 to see if I'm still subscribed. Good luck with yours.

Sunday, January 6, 2008 8:33 PM

All replies

• I'm looking for the answer as well. I bought a new copy of OneCare from Costco for $9.99 and am trying to figure out how to use it to renew. I haven't yet uninstalled OneCare. Do you suppose we have to create a new Live ID?

Sunday, January 6, 2008 6:47 PM
  • I found my answer in some other posts. I didn't uninstall and my subscription had not yet expired. Also I know my Live ID and password. Basically, you follow the steps to renew your subscription on line as though you were going to spend $50 to renew with a credit card. But when you get to the screen that says "If you have a prepaid card, click here to enter the PIN", go there and enter the product key from inside the OneCare box you bought at the store. Here's the steps I followed:

1. Goto http://billing.microsoft.com and log in with your Live ID and password.

2. This took me to a "Billing Account Overview" page and Windows Live OneCare was listed in the "Services" section.

3. I clicked the Windows Live OneCare Link and then a on the next page, a "Renew" link

4. This took me to a "Plan Description" page which had the statement "If you have a prepaid card, click here to enter PIN. Otherwise click Next". I clicked "here"

5. The next screen was "Enter PIN" and had options for 12 or 25 character pins. The 25 option was already checked and that's where I entered the Product Key.

6. The next page said "Sign Agreements and Buy". Where the credit card info would normally be shown, it had the last 4-digits of my product key shown. I printed the page and clicked "done".

7. My OneCare client still says it will expire at the same time (2/19/2007) as it did before, but when I went back into my Live account, I saw that it now has two product keys, the one I just entered and the one I used last year. The second one is not supposed to start until the first one expires. Other posts say it takes about 24 hours for OneCare to "notice" that it has been renewed.

The real test will be after 2/19/2007 to see if I'm still subscribed. Good luck with yours.

Sunday, January 6, 2008 8:33 PM
  • I had the same issue recently.

After point 7 of your instructions, it'll take a few days for the info to update.  At first, it'll say your subscription will renew automatically on XX date.  A few days later, your new renewal date of 1 year down the line will be reflected in the GUI as well.

One thing I did notice is that not all of my OneCare protected machines showed the new expiry date at first, taking a day or so more to reflect the renewal.  They're all up to date now though.

Again, after point 7, it's a matter of having some patience really!
    Sunday, January 6, 2008 8:59 PM