CRM 2015 online - Can you tell if a case is created from an incoming email RRS feed

• Question

• When a case is created from an incoming email using 'Convert to case', is there any way of telling that the case was created from an email activity, as opposed to, say, a phone call activity? I want to set a value on the case form if the case is created from an email.

Thanks.

Monday, August 24, 2015 10:55 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Since this is system out of box function, you will not able to capture this event but you can write plug in on different events to satisfy your requirement.

1. on Case Post Create check if case origin is email then retrieve email and update relevant fields

2. on Email Update of regarding field check if regarding is case and case is created from this email then update case.

Other better way to do this using mapping so go to customization and map existing/new fields and after this mapping is publish when you convert to case system will automatically update these fields on case.

MayankP
    My Blog
    Follow Me on Twitter

Tuesday, August 25, 2015 12:18 PM
    Answerer

All replies

• I guess origin field should be set to Email, this is pick list field and if email is created using Convert to Case this field should indicate this.

MayankP
    My Blog
    Follow Me on Twitter

Monday, August 24, 2015 1:29 PM
    Answerer
  • Thanks for the reply. However, I mean I would like to know during the 'Convert to Case' activity, I was hoping I could create a workflow that would set some fields on the case that's created from the email.

I'm going to use a plugin on the activity update.

Thanks.

Monday, August 24, 2015 2:10 PM
  • Hi,

Since this is system out of box function, you will not able to capture this event but you can write plug in on different events to satisfy your requirement.

1. on Case Post Create check if case origin is email then retrieve email and update relevant fields

2. on Email Update of regarding field check if regarding is case and case is created from this email then update case.

Other better way to do this using mapping so go to customization and map existing/new fields and after this mapping is publish when you convert to case system will automatically update these fields on case.

MayankP
    My Blog
    Follow Me on Twitter

Tuesday, August 25, 2015 12:18 PM
    Answerer