SyncToy hangs at subfolder exclusion dialog RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I'm fairly new to SyncToy and have a little problem. When I try to open the subfolder exclusion dialog (i.e. "Select subfolder" at the advanced options), SyncToy keeps hanging at a certain folder (which is pretty small in size). Then SyncToy hogs memory like crazy and crashes when it reaches 400MB of RAM. I looked at the log but even with the verbose switch there's no error message in it. I even removed the folder that is causing this behavior without avail. SyncToy just hangs at a different one instead.
    Funny thing is that when I open the subfolder exclusion dialog on a completely different folder pair, everything works fine. I have no clue what is causing this. Any suggestions?
    I'm working on a fully patched Windows XP SP3 and using SyncToy 2.1 x86.
    Tuesday, March 2, 2010 1:36 PM

All replies

• could you please elabrate with more details ? you mentioned the folder is pretty small, how many files are there anyways ? are there any hidden files or system files ?

thanks
    Yunwen

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Wednesday, March 3, 2010 6:40 PM
  • Sure. There is one file in it which is ~4MB plus another empty folder in this folder. The exact path is C:\Documents and Settings\User\Local Settings\Application data\Ubisoft\Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell Chaos Theory. The folders "Local Settings" and "Application data" are hidden. When I delete this folder for testing purposes, SyncToy stalls at my Thunderbird profile folder.
    The whole folder in this folder pair setup is ~2.7GB big.

As I said, the weird thing is that with a completely different folder pair (the folder here is around 40GB with even deeper directory structure) the subfolder exclusion dialog works flawlessly.
    Wednesday, March 3, 2010 7:02 PM
  • Hi Mandrikor,
          Did you get some update on this problem? I had a few try, but I still could not repro it. Does your problem could be reproed stably, if you could stably repro this hang problem, could you try to change SyncToy 's log setting configure as "verbose", then take a look if there  are some error info logging out? Maybe we can use this way to find some clue.

FYI:

View Log File

View the log to see a record or report of changes to files after a SyncToy folder pair action has been run. SyncToy reports on the number of files it synchronized, the number of files that did not require synchronization, the length of time the SyncToy run took, and other statistics. The log can be particularly useful when you have scheduled SyncToy to run unattended. You may wish to view the log to see whether the scheduled SyncToy run completed as you expected.

The SyncToy log can be viewed by choosing the View Log option from the SyncToy File menu. The View Log dialog also has an option for deleting the current log contents. The log file is placed under the user's local application data folder (on Windows Vista: %LOCALAPPDATA%\Microsoft\SyncToy\2.0\SyncToyLog.log, on Windows XP: "%USERPROFILE%\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\SyncToy\2.0\SyncToyLog.log")

Verbose Logging

SyncToy supports a verbose level of logging for helping troubleshoot issues you may be having during synchronization operatons. To enable verbose logging, you'll need to manually edit the configuration file named SyncToy.config under the SyncToy install location (by default installed to "%PROGRAMFILES%\SyncToy 2.1"). Open the SyncToy.config file in your favorite text editor and change the value property of the SyncToyTraceLevel switch from "Info" to "Verbose", e.g.:

add name="SyncToyTraceLevel" value="Verbose"

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Friday, March 12, 2010 6:24 AM
  • Thanks for looking into this. :)

Well, syncing (i.e "Echo" in my case) works perfectly. The log shows no errors apart from some system and browser files which could not be copied because they were protected or accessed at the time of syncing.
    The problem occurs before syncing as I want to exclude some directories from syncing and the log, which solely logs folder pair actions, if I understand correctly, can't capture this hang at the subfolder exclusion dialog. I can reproduce it easily, but I just don't know why it happens (see post above yours), although it seems like a memory leak to me.
    Friday, March 12, 2010 1:46 PM