Outlook Synch Causing Duplicate Contacts RRS feed

• Question

• Hello All,

Interesting problem.  I had an employee rebuild his laptop today.   He then reinstalled the CRM client.  Today we have duplicates of all of our contacts that parallel his Outlook Contacts. These had been previously synchronized.  

We now have duplicates of all of our contacts, owned by him.  Needless to say this is a HUGE problem.

As a standard practrice, we synch all contacts with Outlook, not just any specific owned contacts. 

Does anyone have any input on this and how do we make sure this does not happen again?

Monday, December 13, 2010 10:44 PM

Answers

• Please don't shoot the application. What happened is understandable from a technical point of view.

Before rebuilding a laptop you should have turned off the local data groups so that CRM removed the CRM contacts from Outlook, otherwise when you reinstall CRM a new fresh set of contacts will get synced.

I've seen this happen only once or twice before. But usually once a system administrator understands what's happening, it doesn't happen again.

Hopefully, your organisation isn't completlely destroyed. That would be a horrible thing to happen just before Christmas ; )

Neil Benson, CRM Addict and MVP at Customery Ltd. You can reach me on LinkedIn or Twitter. Join over 10,000 other CRM professionals on the Microsoft Dynamics CRM group on LinkedIn.

• Marked as answer by Jim Glass Jr Wednesday, February 2, 2011 9:25 PM
    Friday, December 17, 2010 6:37 AM

All replies

• This has happened because you rebuilt the laptop. His Exchange mailbox included a set of all his CRM contacts, and when you reinstalled CRM for Outlook the client is considered to be a completely new computer by CRM (it doesn't know that any CRM contacts are already in his Exchange mailbox), so it sync'd all contacts again.

To resolve this, try turning off all local data groups and sync'ing. This will remove all the CRM synced contacts leaving a single copy of the old CRM contacts behind. Delete all the old CRM contacts from the user's Contacts folder. Turn the local data groups back on again and re-sync.

Hope this helps?

Neil Benson, CRM Addict and MVP at Customery Ltd. You can reach me on LinkedIn or Twitter. Join over 10,000 other CRM professionals on the Microsoft Dynamics CRM group on LinkedIn.

Wednesday, December 15, 2010 2:29 PM
  • Hi Neil,

Thanks. We deleted all of the contacts.  Had him delete all of his contacts in Outlook.  However, we are still seeing duplicates of things, although not as many.  I can't actually beleive that CRM allows this to happen. It completely destroys an organization.

Thursday, December 16, 2010 3:53 PM
  • Please don't shoot the application. What happened is understandable from a technical point of view.

Before rebuilding a laptop you should have turned off the local data groups so that CRM removed the CRM contacts from Outlook, otherwise when you reinstall CRM a new fresh set of contacts will get synced.

I've seen this happen only once or twice before. But usually once a system administrator understands what's happening, it doesn't happen again.

Hopefully, your organisation isn't completlely destroyed. That would be a horrible thing to happen just before Christmas ; )

• Marked as answer by Jim Glass Jr Wednesday, February 2, 2011 9:25 PM
    Friday, December 17, 2010 6:37 AM
  • Another alternative is a new service from Scrubly http://www.scrubly.com. The service scans and removes duplicate contacts from your Outlook, Gmail and Google Apps accounts. The nice thing about this service is that it gives you the option of viewing the contacts to be merged in advance and picking and choosing the info you want to merge so you have complete control over the merged data.  It also keeps a backup of your contacts. Hope this helps =)

Scrubly http://www.scrubly.com

Wednesday, February 2, 2011 6:16 AM
  •    Clone Removal is the best solution in this case.

http://www.moleskinsoft.com
    Wednesday, February 16, 2011 10:31 AM