none
SyncToy 2.1 fails to install RRS feed

• Question

• I keep getting the following error message when I try to install the downloaded program files:

The following components were not installed:
    - Microsoft Sync Framework 2.0 Provider Services

The following components failed to install:
    - Microsoft Sync Framework 2.0 Core Components

I used to have the earlier version (the one prior to 2.0) which is no longer supported, and a massive system restore removed SyncToy from my program files.  I really liked SyncToy, but can't seem to find the 2.0 version to install, and I don't think I have the 1Ghz processor speed required for 2.1.  Any suggestions (besides getting a new computer...)? I am running Windows XP, with all service packs and updates recommended for SyncToy to run properly.  I recall having to run some updates for the earlier SyncToy to install properly, but this time around I'm really up against a wall. I am not a developer, just trying to figure out why I can't install 2.1, and why I can't find 2.0 to install.

Tuesday, January 5, 2010 11:52 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hi -

SyncToy 2.0 and 2.1 have pretty much the same system requirements. So that should not be blocking you. You should have .net framework 2.0 installed as a prequisite. THe problem here seems to be that the Microsost Sync Framework 2.0 Core Components is not installing. Take a look at the Event Log on the system and seeing if there is any extra information as to why this is not being installed.
    Thanks
    Deepa
    Deepa ( Microsoft Sync Framework)
    Wednesday, January 6, 2010 1:38 AM
  • I have a very similar problem, the message I get is...

Prerequisite check for system component Microsoft Sync Framework 2.0 Core Components failed with the following error message:
    "Microsoft Sync Framework 2.0 Core Components requires Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0. Contact your application vendor."

See the setup log file located at 'C:\DOCUME~1\Dale\LOCALS~1\Temp\VSD14C5.tmp\install.log' for more information.

The install.log is no help, here it is...

The following properties have been set:
    Property: [AdminUser] = true {boolean}
    Property: [ProcessorArchitecture] = Intel {string}
    Property: [VersionNT] = 5.1.3 {version}
    Running checks for package '.NET Framework 2.0 (All platforms: X86, X64, IA64)', phase BuildList
    Running external check with command line "C:\DOCUME~1\Dale\LOCALS~1\Temp\VSD14C5.tmp\dotnetfx\dotnetchk.exe"
    Process exited with code 0
    Setting value '0 {int}' for property 'DotNetInstalled'
    Reading value 'Version' of registry key 'HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer'
    Read string value '8.0.6001.18702'
    Setting value '8.0.6001.18702 {string}' for property 'IEVersion'
    The following properties have been set for package '.NET Framework 2.0 (All platforms: X86, X64, IA64)':
    Property: [DotNetInstalled] = 0 {int}
    Property: [IEVersion] = 8.0.6001.18702 {string}
    Running checks for command 'dotnetfx\instmsia.exe'
    Result of running operator 'ValueExists' on property 'VersionNT': true
    Result of checks for command 'dotnetfx\instmsia.exe' is 'Bypass'
    Running checks for command 'dotnetfx\WindowsInstaller-KB893803-v2-x86.exe'
    Result of running operator 'ValueExists' on property 'Version9x': false
    Result of running operator 'VersionLessThan' on property 'VersionNT' and value '5.0.3': false
    Result of running operator 'VersionGreaterThanOrEqualTo' on property 'VersionMsi' and value '3.0': true
    Result of checks for command 'dotnetfx\WindowsInstaller-KB893803-v2-x86.exe' is 'Bypass'
    Running checks for command 'dotnetfx\dotnetfx.exe'
    Result of running operator 'ValueNotEqualTo' on property 'DotNetInstalled' and value '0': false
    Result of running operator 'ValueEqualTo' on property 'AdminUser' and value 'false': false
    Skipping FailIf because Property 'Version9X' was not defined
    Result of running operator 'VersionLessThan' on property 'VersionNT' and value '5.0.3': false
    Result of running operator 'ValueNotExists' on property 'IEVersion': false
    Result of running operator 'VersionLessThan' on property 'IEVersion' and value '5.01': false
    Result of running operator 'ValueNotEqualTo' on property 'ProcessorArchitecture' and value 'Intel': false
    Result of checks for command 'dotnetfx\dotnetfx.exe' is 'Install'
    Running checks for command 'dotnetfx\x64\netfx64.exe'
    Result of running operator 'ValueNotEqualTo' on property 'DotNetInstalled' and value '0': false
    Result of running operator 'ValueEqualTo' on property 'AdminUser' and value 'false': false
    Result of running operator 'ValueNotEqualTo' on property 'ProcessorArchitecture' and value 'AMD64': true
    Result of checks for command 'dotnetfx\x64\netfx64.exe' is 'Bypass'
    Running checks for command 'dotnetfx\ia64\netfx64.exe'
    Result of running operator 'ValueEqualTo' on property 'ProcessorArchitecture' and value 'AMD64': false
    Result of running operator 'ValueEqualTo' on property 'ProcessorArchitecture' and value 'Intel': true
    Result of checks for command 'dotnetfx\ia64\netfx64.exe' is 'Bypass'
    '.NET Framework 2.0 (All platforms: X86, X64, IA64)' RunCheck result: Install Needed
    Running checks for package 'Microsoft Sync Framework 2.0 Core Components', phase BuildList
    Running external check with command line "C:\DOCUME~1\Dale\LOCALS~1\Temp\VSD14C5.tmp\Microsoft Sync Framework\..\DotNetFx\dotnetchk.exe"
    Setting value '0 {int}' for property 'DotNetInstalled'
    Running external check with command line "C:\DOCUME~1\Dale\LOCALS~1\Temp\VSD14C5.tmp\Microsoft Sync Framework\msfcheck.exe" {461EC4B5-BF19-49CC-894B-D87694E0CCD1} 2
    Setting value '0 {int}' for property 'SyncFrameworkInstalled'
    The following properties have been set for package 'Microsoft Sync Framework 2.0 Core Components':
    Property: [DotNetInstalled] = 0 {int}
    Property: [SyncFrameworkInstalled] = 0 {int}
    Running checks for command 'Microsoft Sync Framework\Synchronization-v2.0-x86-ENU.msi'
    Result of running operator 'ValueGreaterThanEqualTo' on property 'SyncFrameworkInstalled' and value '1': false
    Result of running operator 'ValueEqualTo' on property 'DotNetInstalled' and value '0': true
    Result of checks for command 'Microsoft Sync Framework\Synchronization-v2.0-x86-ENU.msi' is 'Fail'
    'Microsoft Sync Framework 2.0 Core Components' RunCheck result: Fail
    A prerequisite failed for Package "Microsoft Sync Framework 2.0 Core Components"
    Package failed with message "Microsoft Sync Framework 2.0 Core Components requires Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0. Contact your application vendor."

Friday, January 8, 2010 2:34 AM
  • I am experiencing the same condition.  Processor speed OK for new version.  Uninstalled Sync Framework 1.1, thinking that might be the issue.  I continue to get the same eror message.  Any more ideas?
    Sunday, January 10, 2010 6:05 PM
  • Are you saying - that you have .NET 2.0 framework successfully installed on the machine but failed to install Sync Framework 2.0?

Thanks.
    Leo Zhou ------ This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Tuesday, January 12, 2010 6:10 AM
    Answerer
  • I'm having the same issues........ anyone have any success with this yet?
    Monday, January 18, 2010 8:23 PM
  • Hi -

SyncToy 2.0 and 2.1 have pretty much the same system requirements. So that should not be blocking you. You should have .net framework 2.0 installed as a prequisite. THe problem here seems to be that the Microsost Sync Framework 2.0 Core Components is not installing. Take a look at the Event Log on the system and seeing if there is any extra information as to why this is not being installed.
    Thanks
    Deepa
    Deepa ( Microsoft Sync Framework)

I have same problem and found no support in event log:

Product: Microsoft Sync Framework 2.0 Core Components (x64) ENU -- Installation failed.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

can someone help and give valuable support? thank you

Thursday, January 21, 2010 1:45 PM
  • hey guys...  i was having the same problem with the install failing (see below) and it turned out i was installing the wrong version.  When you download SyncToy 2.1, make sure you chose the proper one.  I was running SyncToySetupPackage_v21_x64.exe and i should have been using SyncToySetupPackage_v21_x86.exe

"
    Process exited with code 1633
    Status of package 'Microsoft Sync Framework 2.0 Core Components' after install is 'InstallFailed'"

Sunday, February 7, 2010 7:54 AM
  • I keep getting the following error message when I try to install the downloaded program files:

I used to have the earlier version (the one prior to 2.0) which is no longer supported, and a massive system restore removed SyncToy from my program files.  I really liked SyncToy, but can't seem to find the 2.0 version to install, and I don't think I have the 1Ghz processor speed required for 2.1.  Any suggestions (besides getting a new computer...)? I am running Windows XP, with all service packs and updates recommended for SyncToy to run properly.  I recall having to run some updates for the earlier SyncToy to install properly, but this time around I'm really up against a wall. I am not a developer, just trying to figure out why I can't install 2.1, and why I can't find 2.0 to install.

I had the exact same problem when attempting to load SyncToy...   I am running Windows 7 - 32 bit, on a Quadcore system and had these failures when loading.  On a lark, I attempted to load the 64bit version of SyncToy instead, and it seemed to work like a champ...  I'm not sure why, or if it will cause other problems, but its hard to argue with success!

kevin
    Saturday, February 13, 2010 7:03 AM
  • I had the same problems trying to install on Windows 7 64 bit.  I repeated the install several times and each time it got slightly further, and successfully installed on about the 5th attempt!
    Wednesday, March 10, 2010 3:52 PM
  • Can't get SyncToy2 to install. I get this message:

Component Microsoft Sync Framework 2.0 Core Components has failed to install with the following error message:
    "A fatal error occurred during the installation of Microsoft Sync Framework 2.0 Core Components."

See the setup log file located at 'C:\Users\AG\AppData\Local\Temp\VSD846C.tmp\install.log' for more information.

On the download page, I see these two versions listed:

SyncToySetupPackage_v21_x64.exe

3.5 MB

SyncToySetupPackage_v21_x86.exe

2.9 MB

Only the first one will download. The second leads to this page, where there is no download at all:

http://download.microsoft.com/default.aspx

By the way, I'm using Vista Home Premium on a Core 2 Quad 2.66 Ghz

Also, Microsoft Update says I have all updates installed.

Tuesday, March 16, 2010 10:15 PM
  • THANKS MAN IT WAS REALLY HELPFULL 
    Monday, May 17, 2010 3:38 AM
  • Thanks for the thread and the ansers.  I needed the x86 version too.  I already had the other software included in Windows 7 too.  Great!
    Tuesday, May 25, 2010 5:37 AM
  • I had the same problem on XPSP3.  I started by installing the .NET Framework 4.0, because I never had any of the frameworks on this machine, and I figured, hey, why not go for the latest version?

Boy was that dumb.  In reading the error log, SyncToy was looking for .NET 2.0 -- and I rightly guessed that it wouldn't accept any other version.  So I went and installed 2.0 (January 2006, keep in mind).  And it worked! (And yes, I now have two different version of the framework installed. Yay.)

Unless there is something in 2.0 that 4.0 does not contain, the SyncToy installer should look for AT LEAST 2.0!  You shouldn't have to install an ancient version of the framework to install the latest version of SyncToy.

Furthermore, the error implies that you need to first download and install the Sync Framework.  It appears that is also wrong, as the SyncToy installer seems to download and install that prior to installing SyncToy itself.  Obviously the installation and documentation needs serious work.

Either way, after fighting with it for hours, I figured it out.  Thanks Microsoft! :\
    • Proposed as answer by deiseach Saturday, October 30, 2010 8:59 AM
    Monday, August 30, 2010 1:45 AM
  • Dude, you cracked it. Weird one, as you say it is counter-intuitive that you should have to install an older version of the software. But hey, it works, and SyncToy is worth the grief. My 7 laptop is now fully backed up on to my ancient XP machine. +1 to you
    Saturday, October 30, 2010 9:02 AM
  • It would seem that SyncToy 2.1 is using methods or classes in the .NET 2.0 assemblies that have been depreciated in .NET 3.x and .NET 4. Hopefully Microsoft will release a new version of SyncToy that works with vanilla Windows 7 without needing to install the outdated .NET 2.0 framework.

However, I've not found any major issues running different versions of the framework at the same time. I have 1.0, 1.1, 2.0 SP2, 3.0 SP2, 3.5 SP1 and 4.0 installed due to various upgrades and legacy software.

Tuesday, November 9, 2010 12:50 AM
  • lol you got it! I agree with deiseach and TokyoDev. Microsoft should be less clumsy publishing software that makes us do awkward thinks like install a legacy version of software like this. +1 more for you! 
    Sunday, November 14, 2010 6:38 PM
  • It is a pity that we loyal users of Microsoft have to put up with these MS SHODDY PRODUCTS : -(     :-(

I have resisted moving to other applications, even though the UI is very primitive.  A product that does not install is a bit too much.  Do we really deserve this?
    Thursday, March 10, 2011 1:42 AM
  • Same here.  Failed 3 or 4 times.  On 4th or 5th install, it worked.  I didn't do anything other than close the errors and click the install package again.
    Sunday, December 21, 2014 8:37 PM