Advice for dyslexic starting MCSA RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

I work within a small IT team (4 + me), I have been here for 6 months and my employer has agreed to pay for materials and the cost of the exams towards an MCSA. My role is to maintain the help desk and my boss has actively encouraged that I get involved in as many other areas of the department as I like.

I had no previous IT experience until now, however I seem to have 'knack' for picking things up and have always used computers from a young age.  We have 2 sites that currently have: Exchange 2003 + 07, server 2003 + 08 and SharePoint 03 + 2007. I'm not completely sure on this; however the majority of my time is spent at the site with older versions.

My main question is that I am starting with 70-680 Windows 7 exam. I am quiet badly dyslexic and I have learnt from when gaining my degree and formative years in education that I learn best from a)doing/practical, b)discussions, c)visual/diagrams, d)mock papers and e)actual tuition from a person.

I have just got the (last week )Microsoft Self Study Guide for the exam. I am struggling with the mass bodies of text and information. I do not do well from mass tracts of reading and find it very hard to concentrate and read whilst being able to assimilate the information.

I gained high level degree class in a not very easy subject so I know I am competent. However can anyone recommend any other learning materials for this exam and the future ones I will be taking for the MCSA once I have decided my electives?

The prospect of trying to trawl through these books is depressing and I am worried I will not pass, costing my boss.

Many thanks in advance for any advice

Thursday, March 18, 2010 12:46 PM

Answers

• My nephew has a condition that is opposite of dyslexia (he reads fine, but has great difficulty in formulating written responses), so I'm somewhat familiar with what you're dealing with.

If you're one that picks up by listening/watching, you might want to look at some of the computer based training - CBT Nuggets, Trainsignal or TestOut.  TestOut might be a better option as it includes not only video learning, but short printouts, simulations and practice exam questions.  That might help to prep you better for the actual exams.
    • Marked as answer by Rubel Khan Monday, March 22, 2010 4:08 AM
    Thursday, March 18, 2010 2:04 PM
    Answerer